Skip to main content

On pedis, fall, Mondays and other assorted nonsense

My friend JG introduced me to a fabulous new pedi place last week. Way nice staff, comfy setting, and a top notch pedi. I got a super deep purple w/a teeny bit of shimmer/metallic in it, which is interesting for me, but which JL suggested and looks awesome. Love it!  
My toe color this week

Fall is in the air..the leaves are beginning to change, the air is crisp in the mornings, and it's dark when it used to be light early and late....we've bought one bag of chili, but need to get another one while the roasters are still in motion. It's a little hot this year, which means lots of flavor and heat enough to warm us up in the cool months ahead.

Monday...it was hard to get up today, harder to come into work, but now things are smoothing out and I'm feeling a sense of early productivity and accomplishment, though I don't want to jinx myself with this...we'll  know later on, but some big projects seem to be moving along very very well..yay!

Everything else nonsensical....Ok, I'm done with Private Practice. I watched about 1/4 of it last week, and finally said, 'Nah, this just isn't for me.' It felt liberating...as I'm currently connected/addicted to more shows than in a very long time. Jettisoning one won't hurt a bit.

The weekend, was beautiful. Got out for a long run on Saturday, noticed how the colors are beginning to change, and how the general feel in the air is shifting into fallishness.  We had dinner with our friends KD and LD, whose wedding we went to last year on the day daughter hurt her knee...on Saturday night, and tasted Torta Rustica for the first time...which is a heavenly Italian dish similar to lasagna only made with phyllo, and baked in a springform pan. Ricotta, artichoke hearts, roasted red peppers...yum. Amazing dish. Amazing company. Lovely dinner. And KD served cheesecake drizzled with ganache and topped with fresh raspberries for dessert. More yum....

Sunday was about nesting. Laundry, reading (finished The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, thanks JL!), working (projects galore, not enough time to address them all), then finally enjoying a new meditation area Hubby created down in the garden. It's beautiful, with a brick wall enclosing bamboo, a cool buddha statue and a small zen garden complete with a tiny rake and sand...We sat down there last evening and enjoyed the new addition, a glass of wine, then took pictures to send to the kiddos. Cannot figure out how to actually get the pics on my laptop right now, but will somehow work through that silliness.

I made a few promises to myself, and to Hubby this weekend. Meditate more. Reestablish the strong yoga practice. Practice being really really present more often. Regain perspective on life/work balance.

I'll keep ya posted.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...