Skip to main content

A few of my favorite things

Disclaimer : Stream of consciousness rules today, so leave now if you're not in the mood for it.

Life is made up of little moments...moments where you're acutely aware of your surroundings, moments where you're distracted and just cruise through them on your way to another place, moments where your breath whooshes out and you're struck by the coolness of a given snapshot in time. We amass these millions of moments, remember some, forget others, but it's the moments that add up to the big banana of life.

These moments are often punctuated, reinforced or highlighted by smells, sounds, sights, sensations, that originate from any number of places. My favorite things add to my memorable moments, and in honor of the stream of consciousness approach I'm taking to this post, I'm going to shut my eyes and create the list, in no particular order.

Early morning. The light, the freshness, the potential.


The aroma of fresh ground coffee.


The scent of fresh coffee brewing.


The taste of fresh coffee.


Green tea. The smell of it steeping, the wonderful light but distinctive taste on the tongue, the clarity it imparts.


Kitty love.  When my cats rubs on my ankles, then meows at me, then stands close for a rub. When she curls up in my lap (her lap actually) when I'm in my favorite chair, reading or relaxing. When she curls up against the small of my back when we nap.


Running.


Yoga.


Meditation.


Conceiving, preparing, then enjoying healthy, delicious meals.


Rainfall.


Jazz.


Reading.


Writing.


Perfume.


Great shoes.


The 'right' red lipstick.


Red nail polish to match.


Lace.


Silk.


Love.


Friendship. 


Musing.


Happy hair.


My kids' belly laughs.


Hubby's humor.


The garden.


To be continued...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...