Skip to main content

If I don't forward your email to eight other powerful, beautiful women who've influenced me, please don't hold it against me.

At least a couple times a week I get emails from friends and family (though not my offspring or spouse, who get it..) praising me as part of their life, and encouraging me to forward to others I feel the same about.

Now I totally get the positive intent of these missives. I do.

But honestly? I never return them to the sender, and I never pass them on to 5, 6, 8 or 12 (whatever the required number du jour may be) others to enjoy and pass along.

I just don't.

And it's not because I don't value the sender, or wish to either reap the benefits on the 4th day following my compliance of the instructions of the email, or to avoid the wrath of the universe should I fail to do so.

I'm just of the mind that if you send something to someone, if it's not a link to an absolutely hilarious video of a baby dancing or a kitten riding a goat, don't make them do anything besides read what you've sent.

I'm all about a good laugh, and the viral effect of sharing funny stuff with people, I get it. I do.

But I'll be damned if I'm going to make people I care about do more stupid work to just hedge a bet with the universe.

If you get an email from me, I'll go ahead and tell you you're special, thank you for being my friend, or otherwise demonstrate my appreciation for you.

But I will never, ever make you send it on. You don't even have to respond to me if  you don't have time/inclination to do so.

And I promise, I have no big secret connection with the forces of the universe that will cause ill effects.

Of this I'm certain.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...