Skip to main content

Countdown to Vegas

Between now and the time my plane takes off on Friday morning the following activities should have taken place:

Make cherry sauce for cheesecake


Buy cheesecake stuff


Make cheesecake


Write a compelling press release (not about the cherry sauce or the cheesecake, about work stuff)


Distribute the press release to normal, then online outlets


Print a stack to take to the event


Pick up bag from our assistant who had been labeling chocolates for us


Pack


Pick up library books that are waiting


Buy cat food and sundry other items for house/cat sitter and general use/travel


Touch up pedi


Do/Fold laundry


Enjoy a nice early Father's Day dinner with Hubby, Daughter, and Hubby's best friend GR who will be joining us for filets, cognac sauce, artichokes, crusty sourdough and very nice cabernet. Oh, and cheesecake with cherry sauce.


Try to get a good night's sleep before the trip since Hubby and Daughter and GR will be leaving at 0500 on Friday, then I'll be running around doing final prep stuff then catching a 0940 flight and since they'll also be staying with me in Vegas that night which means nobody is probably going to get a ton of sleep but it'll be fun but Saturday, the first day of the event, might be a little bit dicey.


And that's pretty much what the next 48 hours looks like. Or should.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...