Skip to main content

Midweek Update - Under control as long as you're generous with the definition of control

My oh my what a week it's turned out to be!

First there was the not holiday, Memorial Day, which felt more like a prelude to a complicated dance.

Then there was Daughter's wisdom teeth.

Then there was the negative reaction to Vicodin, which involved a blackout in the kitchen.

Then there was the new pain med prescription that we decided would be good to have on hand but not use as long as the ibuprofen was doing enough..which, so far, it has.

Then there was a quiz today, which, thankfully, I managed to do fine on. Go figure. (Ok, three serious hours of focused study last night while my girl was snoozing in the recliner might have helped.)

Then there was work, or IS work, since I'm still here but actually contemplating heading out before clinic to check on the girl one more time, though the last time I checked on her she was having a very nice time being entertained by her cousins and my motherinlaw.....

I tweaked out yesterday. Fortunately the loving kindness shown me by JL and EM made me NOT cry for very long and to laugh right away and to mostly get perspective when I was completely underwater for a little bit.

You know how you work yourself up into a tizzy sometimes, a tizzy that just grows and feeds itself and does that exponential growth thing? I did that.

Apparently I was upset that I was on deck for what felt like everything...taking care of the girl, which of course I don't mind but that on top of complications from pain meds plus watering the goddamned yard (which doesn't yet have and desperately needs a more automated approach thankyouverymuch) plus work (at which I was remarkably ineffectual and for covering me I owe JL a big piece of chocolate or a yummy glass of wine at least when she's here next) plus school (for which I needed to study study study to redeem myself after a lackluster quiz performance last week that prompted my prof to ask if I'd slept at all the night before..sheesh) plus there was dinner to figure out and a very long day to prepare for today and at some point

I HAD HAD ENOUGH. AND I TWEAKED.

But once I cried a little  and laughed a little, things got better.

And though I confessed to Daughter later in the day that I had, in fact, tweaked, she said, 'Oh, Mom. From where I'm sitting, that was a tiny tweak. I'm used to full on college girl drama tweaks. You must have been tweaking BIG on the inside.'

And so I was.

But now I'm not.

And daughter is on the mend. And I just have clinic tonight to survive. And then it'll be Friday and though it is scheduled to be a full day what with meetings and such, hopefully it will go fast.

So I can stumble home and try to recover before next week gets here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...