Skip to main content

Reining in the Mama Beast

Daughter's team is playing in DePaul this weekend. And also at Notre Dame.

For many reasons, none of which seem solid to me right now,  I'm not going to see her play.

But G. G. and his Mom are. G.G.'s fam is from that area of the world, so they'll be staying in a hotel one night and with relatives the next, so it's convenient and then his Mom is going to some kind of a reunion one night so G.G. may be able to hang with our girl a little then, too, which is a bonus. He misses his girl. And she misses her Dad.

So, G. G. and Mominlaw are super excited about seeing the girl play. She's strengthening and focusing herself on the field and getting more minutes and all is well. And she loves it when her Dad watches her play..she always has.

While I may not be there in body, I will most certainly be there in spirit. Which means I'm sending a goodie bag for the girl, some stuff she's requested, some I found and will be a surprise. Mostly it'll be some fun stuff for her to discover and know that the home team is sending their very best. And hand delivering some love.

I admit, I had to stop when I was shopping. There is so much fun stuff to get for one's daughter who now has a small kitchen in her apartment, so much. In fact, I may have ruptured something inside stopping when I did, because my natural inclination was to buy matching EVERYTHING..towels, dishcloths, utensils, you name it...

Ahem.

Anyhoo, G.G. and Mominlaw are flying out at some ungodly hour on Friday morning, and I'll be doing my level best to not question the rational decision for me to stay here for this one, mostly since I've been able to visit her at school (last year) and see a game already. And G.G. hasn't.

But I think we all know me well enough to know Princess Mama would really like to be there. For a ginormous hug. And dinners out. And just to see for myself once again that my girl is faring well.

Right now I have no earthly idea what I'm going to do with myself for the weekend, but I'm pretty sure there will be yoga, and jogs, and movies and so on and so forth. And maybe a pedi. And a mani.

And maybe, just maybe, my friend KS will get a wild hair up her butt and accept my invite to come hang with me for the entire weekend for the first time since before we got married and had babies.

Now THAT would be fun.

Just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...