Skip to main content

Season of the Witch

Sigh.

So, Nicholas Cage can really only play one role, from what I can tell. You can set him in Medieval times, make him a passionate 'scientist' or cut off his hand and throw him into the mix with Cher and he 's still playing essentially the same role.

Sometimes he's a little more angry, sometimes he's more passionate, but he's ever Nick Cage.

This time he was doing his thing accompanied by Ron Perlman, an actor I've always liked for his self-deprecating humor.

We have the Crusades to deal with, an epiphany for Cage when he has reached his tolerance for murdering in the name of the Church, a demonic possession eventually rectified when Cage wrestles the actual plague-inducing demon and ends up perforated by his own blades.

But this sacrifice was somehow necessary, as Perlman's character, essentially Cage's wingman/right hand man, also dies by the demon's hand, only he's turned to ash. Which looks like a crappy way to die, BTW.

And there's young love made possible by the exorcism which freed the beautiful young woman who's feeling particularly thankful to be alive, and whose appreciation (if we project a scene or two past the end of the movie) will be showered upon a young man is destined to become the next version of Cage's character who has stepped up, demonstrated bravery and was in fact benighted prior to the big final fight which means he'll always have a good job and who is clearly drawn to the young woman.

Happy endings are good. I like them. But I have to say in this case I'm not sad that Cage's character bought it. He needed to.

I give this a 3 on my 10 scale. I know, harsh, but really? The story has been told in many ways, most better than this one, unfortunately.

The movie cost around $40M to make, and has, to date, per IMdb only made $24M. Those are ugly numbers, but the truth is spoken there, I think...

So unless you're suffering from severe insomnia and this comes on (free) late night TV, don't burn a Netflix order on it.

Really.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long