Skip to main content

Sudden blizzards and rapid exfoliation

Our weather changes quickly, and often drastically. Especially if there's a storm system nearby. Something about a weather phenom created by the 10,000 foot mountain next to the city (5,000 ft. a.g.l.).

If you live here, you should know about this.

I've lived here all but two years of my life, so I know this. Or I should.

So Saturday I was all, 'Hey, I have some energy, I've made a dent in my Saturday To Do list and it's currently not snowing, so I'll go out for a run. It'll be great! Maybe a little wet, but hey, I've been rained on, hailed on, mudded, blown nearly off the trail and baked by Mother Nature during runs in the past, so not  much will stop me! I'm a Nature Girl. Rugged. It'll be good for me.'

I wore layers. I'm not stupid.

And a hat, and sunglasses, and sweats. And lip balm 'cuz I hate chapped lips.

And I hit the trail.

Note: There were visible clouds in the area when I left the house, but it appeared to be clearing, not rebuilding. I'm just sayin'.

About two miles out and up the trail, at the very highest point and furthest from my casa...it got windy and nasty very quickly.

And it started to pelt me with snow pellets...little, hard, nasty balls of ice. Ick. And they hurt. A lot.

I didn't actually take this picture, but it looked like this to me, with a little less depth, 'cuz there was only an inch or so on the ground but you get my drift. And besides I couldn't see because my sunglasses were coated with slush, so there's that too...:




So I ran. I'm a seasoned runner. I've been running since I was a Freshman in high school, for goodness sake.

I stopped, pulled my hood up to protect my neck from the wind and pellets, and discovered the %$^^@$%^&; string that tightens it had been pulled up inside...so it billowed out behind me like a safety chute.

REALLY???!!

Yes. But not helpful, because I didn't need a safety chute right then.

So, I did some yoga breathing, found my wind-blasted, very chilly center, and made it home. At last.

Oh, and you know how when the wind is blowing so hard it feels like there's an invisible hand pushing against your chest preventing you from making progress?

That was going on too.

And sonofagun if it didn't start to clear up right as I made my way up our driveway, breathing deeply, feeling absolutely weather worn and a little like a runner warrior who had survived the elements...again.

Of course it cleared.

So what was that all about??

For what it's worth, when I could finally feel my face again, I touched it and it felt really, really smooth!

So Mother Nature exfoliated me. For free.

Comments

  1. I would've looked at those far away clouds in the beginning of your run and taken it as a sign "don't run"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long