Skip to main content

PMS in the time of nano

My gynecologist is a man. An over 50 man.

He's a very good doc. He's been caring for me and my parts for 23 years now, and given that everything still functions as it should, I'd have to say he knows his stuff.

He humors me, puts me at ease with petty concerns over aging, and generally keeps me on an even keel with regard to all things gynecological.

The one thing he doesn't get, and won't ever get, is being a woman.

He's got the science and medical part down cold. He can identify/treat/resolve any fertility or gynecological issue that might arise. And they do arise from time to time.

He can throw procedures and medication around like nobody's business.

But when you tell him, 'Dr. F., I'm just feeling odd.  There's nothing amiss, medically. My life isn't in turmoil, I'm just feeling odd. Kind of emotional, you know?'

This will elicit from him a knowing frown, he'll rub his chin, look in my eyes (no doubt ensuring both my pupils are responding as expected and there's nothing evidently amiss at a glance), and come up with something sweet but terribly unhelpful like, 'Have you been taking your vitamins? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you exercising regularly?'

Right.

What he needs to learn, like most men need to learn, is that when women are PMSing (and we'll deny it all the way to the bank out of some misplaced need to be strong in a modern era where we can manufacture microscopic machines that can solve huge problems and where a simple, hormonally driven fragility seems out of place...) they need comfort.

What does that look like?

A steak. Charred rare on the grill. Served with a deep, dark, lovely glass of red wine and a BIG salad with a sour citrus dressing and lots of avocado. And something chocolate and creamy for dessert. Then a hug, maybe a foot rub, but mostly closeness.

See, in spite of living in a world where we've cracked some of life's bigger issues, being at the mercy of our hormones makes us need TLC, even when we refuse to directly ask  for it.

You have to intuit that we need it, then dish it up with love, patience and a great deal of respect.

I'm just sayin'.

Comments

  1. I hear ya... While I'm still a "fetus" as stephanie ,likes to say, there are times that being run down, especially certain times of the month get ya... and you're right! They don't get it... LOL

    Love the analogy of what your comfort looks like though. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long