Skip to main content

Cairo, the Sphinx, horses and how my son's life is way cooler than mine. Again.

Photo borrowed from: http://mathildasweirdworldweblog.wordpress.com/
Cairo. (Before the protests that began this week.)

Pyramids.

The Sphinx.

My son and five of his friends.

Horses.

Camels.

Awesome food.

Picture riding toward the pyramids at a gallop on a beautiful horse. Picture how...amazing and memorable that would be. In a life sense.

My son, well, he just did that. Got to ride to the pyramids on a beautiful horse. Across the desert.

The trip back to town was on a camel and we all know how slow they are. And they spit. And the ride is really lurchy. But that didn't even matter at that point, because he was still elated by his horseback ride.

He's decided to do more horseback riding. He used to, then he stopped, but now he's hooked again. That's kind of how it works.

They studied the monuments, basked in the history, then enjoyed dinners in rather sketchy yet mostly cool parts of Cairo at the recommendation of locals.

His timing was fabulous. Because if he'd told me this week he wanted to visit Cairo I'd have had a Mom moment and pled with him not to visit due to the recent political unrest and violence and such.

But last week was ideal. And he had a ball.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...