Skip to main content

Gravity, time and badges of honor

A blog by a mid-lifer wouldn't be complete without occasional musings on the whole aging thing, so here ya go. My first in what may prove to be a series, over time, on my thoughts about this topic.

First of all, the whole inside feeling young and perky and healthy vs the outside showing the ravages feels fundamentally unfair, but it is what it is. We sun, we laugh, we stress, we get too little sleep, we simply live, and, over time...lots of time, all of this shows. On our faces. Everywhere, actually.

So what should we do? Should we refrain from life's roller coaster ride and live in a bubble sans sun, sans laughter, sans the complexity that makes the great journey infinitely interesting? I don't think so.

One of my fondest memories of sun worship involves my Mom, and me at 9 months pregnant with my son. We oiled up, laid out, and for the first time in months my aches went away and I soaked up the lovely Spring sunshine. Which was actually kind of funny, when you think about it. A whale in a bikini. Yikes. Also, after I delivered, that brown big baby tummy became a really brown postpartum tummy. Really brown.

When I think back to some of the people who've aged the best among my parents' generation, and then look around at my contemporaries, the whole sun exposure thing comes into play. Big time.  I'm pretty much screwed on this one because a. I grew up in the high desert and couldn't wear any of the early sunscreens due to severe reactions to them and b. I love the outdoors and in spite of fanatical skin protection over the last several decades, evidence of photoaging exists. Crap.

How have I addressed my aging concerns so far? Better skin care. Yoga. Meditation. Drinking lots of water. Maintaining a healthy weight. Managing career stress better. Embracing the simpler pleasures more.

How do I plan future age battles? Carefully, and certainly not invasively, with injections meant to plump and smooth and paralyze expression. Nipping and tucking really aren't options, either, as much as I'd enjoy losing via lipo that pesky couple of pounds that clings to my backside in spite of my best efforts. Not gonna do it.

I've seen people who've begun the process. It usually starts with a foray into Botox, maybe followed by injections of Juvaderm and other smoothing, plumping substances. All need replenishing; none fix the problem permanently. None. Chemical peels seem to be an attractive alternative for those who wish a resurface of that magnitude. I'm all for pre-emptive strikes on precancerous skin--that's not my point here, it's about the cosmetic piece.

And once people begin the process, they seem to continue, then go for more drastic measures over time as their temporary age-fighting endeavors fail. It's scary to behold. It must be even scarier to live.

If you're in a place where the only way to feel better involves paralyzing your facial muscles, plumping your cheeks and lips and resurfacing to the point where that reddish hue never dissipates, you may need to rethink your self-image. The whole startled halibut look is really NOT attractive. Ask anyone, particularly men. Yikes.

Or maybe I'm living in the dark ages. Maybe my desire to be as healthy as possible, eat well, live well, love well, embrace life is simply old fashioned.

One thing I do know? I've experienced a LOT so far in this life, and if the penalty I pay is laugh lines, freckles and the occasional dark circle under the eye, I'm ok with that. What I can't imagine is having lived and deliberately creating an inflexible mask to cover it all up.

That's just weird. Oh, and it's been my observation that gravity wins. Every time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea