Skip to main content

A dry spell

It occurred to me that I've slowed my posting down a bit after my initial flurry. I'm guessing this is due to life being incredibly busy, my not being compelled to write about absolutely every boring event that goes on and other stuff.

And then I realized something pretty cool. The same (unconscious) governing behavior that surfaces when I'm working on my novel, which makes me overthink and under write is attempting to edit me before I even get really rolling here.

But I'm not going to stop. Even if I only write a little, and some would consider it, meh, in the world of posts.

That said, a few items to bring you up to date.

First, the daughter is playing really good soccer her senior year. Really good. And she's working hard to push beyond what she's accepted in herself before. Wow. All this and taking hard classes and anticipating college far away and generally shouldering a LOT. Go girl. And ask for help if you need it.

Second, the son is about to take the LSAT this Saturday. He doesn't know how that will go, but has been studying and taking practice tests for months, now. Good luck, Son. In addition to working through his Senior year of college, he's the go-to for 57 freshmen at his dorm as the Residential Adviser on his floor. He's learning really cool skills like conflict mediation and how to keep those doe eyed babies calm and focused while they acclimate to the away from home college experience. He says this second year is easier than the first. Good, 'cuz the first one was full of surprises.

Third, my work is intense and competitive and fun and weird and I am never ever comfortable, ever. But I think I do my best work when I'm slightly uncomfortable, so that's ok. I also work with a ridiculously talented group of people who manage to keep their perspective under fire. Turns out that comes in handy a lot.

Hubby is teaching and coaching and on a committee to help pick the new headmaster at his school. It's been an interesting process,  based on the gossip flying around the school. But I don't really know details, just the overview. A decision is forthcoming within a month or so. Soccer season ends in a little over a month, so life will look different once that happens. More time to relax, less time on the fields, literally.

What else? Oh, It's Fall in New Mexico, and the air is chilly in the mornings now. The trees are turning, the Balloon Fiesta is on the near horizon, and the city will soon fill with zillions of tourists and their cars, and their RVs..and their money. The event brings millions of dollars into the local economy, so that's a very good thing. Driving to work during the Fiesta, though, is a pain in the butt.

 Ok, that's all for now. But I'll be back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea