Skip to main content

Pivot

So I made appointments for hubby and I to get our COVID and flu vaccines. It was a date, of sorts, on this Friday evening after a(nother) long week.  But we wanted to get it done.

We get to the CVS, check in, and they inform us that CVS isn't actually contracted with our insurance company, which means we'd have to pay out of pocket. We politely declined. We pay ridiculous premiums, after all, and to just pay more because our insurance company doesn't play well with CVS? Couldn't do it, out of principle alone.

Now a few years ago I wouldn't actually understand the mental preparation, as well as the literal preparation that goes into planning for a(nother) vaccine.  I like to err to the conservative and assume I'll need a day or two to chill while my immune system mounts its response. Last time, it wasn't bad, but I was glad I had that day (which was not the day after, but the 2nd day, as it turns out), to recuperate. So our weekend was light. We pushed off a dinner invite until next weekend, just in case...We got our heads in that 'I'm probably going to feel a little crappy for a couple of days but it's the right/safe thing to do so I'll do it again...' space, and then bailed.

We ended up picking up dinner from a stunningly mediocre Greek restaurant next to the favorite brick oven pizza place we had chosen, then left when the line was shockingly long. In our muddled mental state, we made a quick decision, which seldom works well for us, a fact that was reinforced yet again. We got home, ate, grumbling, and decided our favorite Greek restaurant (down by the University), is in no danger of the competition from the mediocre place we went to tonight.

When we got home, as we were sitting down to eat, our neighbor called to say a package of ours had accidentally been delivered to he and his wife. We offered to go get it, but he insisted on bringing it over. The package is mine, from Banana Republic. They had some long sleeve tee shirts I like on clearance, so I got them to wear as my clinic staple outfit. Long sleeve tees, jeans, clogs or boots, and I'm a happy doc. 

Hubby had to make a comment, though, because that's how he is. Something about how I can't write that stuff off anymore since I'm an employee not an independent contractor anymore. And it rubbed me the wrong way. I may have hung my head and sighed a big sigh. Emotions are running high for a lot of reasons these days, and I feel myself getting absolutely fed up with the same old crap and pressure about everything damned thing. 

Some days I feel like my heart and head are going to simply explode and make a giant mess I won't be able to clean up with apologies. I yearn for conversations that don't include questions about our son (who is dealing with some of his own stuff right now), or about money, or comments about how crappy things are at his work. I just want to have a human to human conversation about dreams,  the amazing moon, great food, good movies, love, ANYTHING but the same old topics that have no real resolution yet.

Anyhoo, I have made appointments for our vaccines this next week, without the time buffers I'd like built in. But we'll get the shots, and see how it goes. 

And this weekend, the one with more energy than we'd thought we'd have? I hope to gather my thoughts and get my attitude in check, Because I don't like this space I'm in, and know I can shift things if I focus on gratitude and all of the amazing and good things in my life. Because there is more good than bad, but I am just stuck in the shadow of the hard stuff right now. And that needs to change.

Peace out for now, friends.

Hugs,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea