Skip to main content

Really, just don't be an asshole

So I got a Kindle, and I read a LOT. It's convenient, easy for my aging eyes to read, and thanks to my friend Lisa, I am part of a fun book 'club' that sends daily deals and provides fun reading ideas. I am in a club... and it's been great so far. I can now carry oodles of options (I have about 25 books loaded right now) so no matter what mood I might find myself in, I can indulge. Full disclosure, I am a totally sucker for FREE books, so my collection may not be up to the 100 books everyone should read before they die expectation, but there you have it. Amazon gets me...and FREE is good. I have been known to pay for a book if a friend recommends it, but I like a bargain too.

In other news, the world is still in the shit soup.  We are facing the consequences of a hasty reopening after COVID lockdown, consequences that may include yet another lockdown since we've allowed what is being called a surge to happen...with daily increases in the virus exceeding any prior to now - worldwide.

It's a shitstorm right now, and it feels like only a matter of time until we're forced back into our humble abodes to think about our actions once more.

We've reopened the clinic, which has been surreal on many levels. It's been awesome working with patients again; it's been terrifying thinking that someone, in spite of our rigorous screening might get in and infect, well, everything.  We mask, and ask patients to do the same. We disinfect like there's no tomorrow. We employ every caution we can to reduce the potential for infection spread, but even with all of that in place there are no guarantees.  Which, as I've already said, is terrifying.

We've also encountered the occasional pushback to requiring a mask in clinic. One patient in particular comes to mind, a patient who really shouldn't be taking risks due to age and other considerations. This patient decided that wearing a mask was simply not acceptable, and canceled appointments moving forward.  For this we thank them very much!  You don't believe in the germ thing? Fine, stay the hell out of our clinic!

Onward.

In the midst of chaos, during reopening phase one, ie three weeks ago, my husband had total hip replacement surgery. He is doing really well, and is dedicated to healing and strengthening. He had been limited in his activities for awhile preceding the surgery, and had been in near constant pain, which sucks. Pain is hard on a person; constant pain pushes people into frustration and darkness when it just gets to be too much to contemplate.  We're on the other side now, and life is improving. We go for daily walks, some longer than others, and he is religious about his PT and daily home exercises.  He is (carefully) working in the garden, and has resumed his daily hand watering. He is driving, so he is no longer reliant upon me to transport him, which is liberating (for both of us). He is brighter and happier than I have seen him in at least a year, which bodes well for the future as he continues to strengthen and recuperate.

As we approach the upcoming holiday weekend, we are planning to gather a small group of friends, outside on the patio where distancing is possible. We are all about being extremely careful about who we hang with, which feels a lot like dating after AIDS...when we were super careful and asked lots of questions and such just because if you didn't and made a bad choice, you might just die. No pressure on a barbeque, huh? Sheesh.

We're all here, and we're all dealing in our own fashion. If there ever was a time to develop a personal belief system and contemplate the essence, now is it. And really, even if Buddhism or compassion for our fellow man isn't high up on our priority list, the least we can all do is just not be assholes.

Wear a mask, keep your distance, wash your hands frequently. It's not that hard, just do it, and shut the hell up.

Huge hugs,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.