Skip to main content

Your results require additional scans

I recently discovered that the most terrifying possible letter from a doctor contains those words.

Until that point, I was smug. I was full of my own pursuit of health, of my certainty that the hard work I've done for decades in terms of eating well, stress management, exercise would render me bulletproof.

It didn't.

So when I read those dreaded words, my heart stopped. My blood pressure rose. My stomach felt like a giant hand had squeezed it hard and had no intention of letting go anytime soon.

I catastrophized. Within a day of processing the message in my imagination I had battled and lost to breast cancer. My children were motherless, their need for maternal support and love no longer within reach on this plane of existence. My husband was without his wife. In one scenario I concocted late at night, he had remarried, and seemed much happier than I had ever made him. In this scenario our beloved felines were emotionally bereft without their pet human to spoil them each and every day. My husband likes our cats; I can't live without their quirky company.

My imagination coupled with my medical knowledge did me no favors.  The emotional shit show that resulted during my reaction was ridiculous. Exhausting. In technicolor. Ruthless. I pretended to be normal on the outside, but on the inside I was a disaster.

One week after those words I underwent additional scans. Core mammogram. Ultrasound. The definition of the time between the mammogram, while only measured in approximately 20 minutes, felt like an eternity.

During the week between the words and the additional scans I learned that I truly love my life, and that I am in no way ready to exit stage left, gracefully or otherwise. I learned that the thought of spending no more time with my loved ones renders me speechless and scooped out emotionally. There is so much more to do, to say, to share. And I am NOT ready to not have that.  I learned that I am, from a career standpoint, happier than I have ever been. I love what I do, where I do it, and with whom I do it.

Sometimes it's important to be reminded of what matters, of where your real priorities lie. That reminder can be excruciating, as I found.

Once the ultrasound was complete, there was more waiting. About 10 minutes, this time. When the tech returned from her consult with the radiologist (the person who issued those first words yet a week back), I felt like I might stroke out right there on the the table before she even opened her mouth.

"Well, just as I thought, it's only a small, benign, fluid filled cyst that has actually shrunk in size since your first mammogram three weeks ago. The radiologist agrees, and believes no follow up care is required, that you can go on with your life and just return next year for your regular mammogram."

She smiled at me, patted me on the shoulder, and handed me a tissue to catch the tears that were rolling down my cheeks.

I dodged a bullet, and know it. 

I was reminded of where my heart lies, how much love I have in my life, and how many blessings I have.  I didn't know I needed, and I know I certainly never would have asked for, a reminder that poignant and painful, but I am thankful for it nonetheless.

My new favorite words? "No follow up care is required, and you can go on with your life..."

On I go.  With thanks.

Huge hugs and much love,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea