Skip to main content

Self awareness

As I age, as I continue to move through this lovely and crazy life, I realize that knowing oneself is the most challenging of all feats.

We are born in ourselves, and from that point on depart from the known into everyone else's version of reality. We spend our childhoods developing simple skills, then teen years surviving our hormones, then young adult years moving through whatever awaits us after secondary school.

Some of us go on to college. Some of us work, do things other people think we should do, then eventually give up on our dreams.  Some of us do that, then decide 'Fuck that', and do what we need to do anyway.

Some of us bloom early. Some of us bloom later. Some of us remain buds (in the floral sense) for our entire lives.

For those that manage to bloom, wowza.

For those that remain buds, all is not lost. There will be a time when blooming will happen.

Some of us are blessed with enormous amounts of energy that help us power through.

Some of us are constitutionally more careful, more observant, more hesitant to jump into the dream.

But this life, regardless of how we tackle it? Is about becoming aware of who and what we are, how we are motivated, and what matters to not only us, but to the community in which we live and world in which that community exists.

When I was a young woman someone explained the Gaia concept to me. Wow, an intelligent planet, I thought. What a cool idea.

I abandoned that for business, Republicanism (temporary, I assure you, but a documented aspect of my life), and the pursuit of capitalism (at the expense of spiritual growth, I might add.)

Fortunately I regained my senses somewhere in my early 40's and have reconsidered the Gaia concept.

Quantum theory helps. We are, in fact, all vibrational beings connected via a beautiful molecular net of energy and communication that we are only now beginning to understand.

Taking that a step further into the idea that the earth itself has an intelligence isn't really a leap. We are all of the same stuff, atomically, all operating on wavelengths, some complementary, some seemingly solitary, but wavelengths nonetheless.

And honestly, some days...I feel my mineral makeup, my elemental components, much more deeply than the cultivated, intelligently groomed aspect of myself.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the more sophisticated, educated and older I get, the more elemental I become.  Literally. Figuratively.

That is all.

Enjoy your elemental selves!

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...