Skip to main content

She's 95

Grandma Gin is a force to be reckoned with. She's fierce, rather dark, very curious, an advocate for better food in her retirement home and is generally one of the most informed individuals I know.  She is always abreast of political happenings, seldom tolerant of nonsense in general, and often a person around whom others gather to do good work.

She and her cronies have made hundreds of quilts for veterans, have generated thousands of dollars for good causes selling their homecrafted holiday ornaments, and continue to meet every evening after dinner at a cozy little 'Peyton Place' they've appropriated in a quiet corner of their building.

Sometimes they work puzzles. Sometimes they just gossip. Mostly they gather to simply be in the same place with those of like mind.

I want to be tough like her, but I feel I may not have quite the titanium core she possesses. She grew up during the Depression on a farm in Colorado. Her father was a raging (and mean) alcoholic, so she and her 8 sibs circled and protected one another as a matter of course. She managed to flee that life by relying on her brain and a work ethic forged from from iron, and she went to nursing school.

Funny story, when I was a little girl (and was spending time with my grandparents while my Mom was finishing up her degree at the university), she gave me megadoses of Vitamin C when I appeared to be coming down with chickenpox, which happened to be making the rounds at school.

I never got it. Cool, huh? Well, kinda, except when my kids came down with the dreaded stuff when I was 31, I hadn't built an immunity...so I got it then. Fortunately, antivirals kept me from exploding in a terrible rash, but the virus took a toll on a body that was already run down from training for a half-marathon in the summer heat.... Ugh.

Anyway, Grandma Gin has survived. The Depression. WWII. Korea. Vietnam. Iraq I and Iraq II. 9/11. Afghanistan. Market fluctuations, three daughters who would have challenged the patience of Job, me (ahem), another granddaughter who makes me look like Ghandi, my grandfather, who was one of a kind, and a whole host of older brothers who protected her fiercely from others but tormented her as only siblings can for most of her childhood.

Happy Birthday, Grandma Gin!  You are an inspiration to us all, and we wish you nothing but delicious cake and endless celebrations!

Hugs and love,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...