Skip to main content

Lists

Many years ago, when my life became more complicated than I thought it would ever be, I started making lists.

They provided a way to organize, to create a visual reminder and to help stay on track. Distractions are par for the course; having a To Do list means a second thought often occurs before serious veering takes place.

These lists have, through the years, undergone changes in form. When I was the road warrior professional, I kept everything electronically, either in some calendar (that then produced my coveted lists for me), or some format that was all the techno rage at that particular point in time. I also carried a BlackBerry for many years because a: it was a good tool and b: I was expected to be in touch, 24/7, and up to speed, always.

Onward.

The lists became more and more complicated. I worked for a development company for a bit (a short bit - it sucked for reasons I'll spare you right now but I'm still trying to regain the piece of my soul that was consumed during that 8 months in my life) that chose a project management software that, suffice to say, managed to overcomplicate to the point where nobody knew exactly what they were supposed to be doing at any given point, and much angst was the result. Oh, and there were only 8 of us at the company headquarters, which is where my demented boss decided to use it, spending umpteen thousands of dollars and stressing all of us out beyond belief before we agreed unanimously to jettison the entire idea. The months following said jettison were the most productive on record, I'm told, which made my diminished little soul happy in some way to know.

Through my professional years the list endeavor underwent many changes, some helpful, some annoying, but the lists continued.

And now that I'm out of that particular rat race and off the gerbil wheel (two animal cliches in one sentence? Woot!), I am back to the grass roots approach.

My lists are on a yellow legal pad. Every few days I update, append, cross off completed items, etc., and, weird, but I'm on track.

Better than ever, and requiring no electronic plugin or batteries or training or license or monthly subscription fee.

You may view that as devolution; I view it as progress on an immeasurable level.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long