Skip to main content

I totally didn't share about our anniversary! What is WRONG with me??

You don't really need to answer the What is wrong with me question, as it was sort of rhetorical.

Anyway, this was a big anniversary for GG and me, but it was definitely impacted by the reality that our baby girl was having surgery the next week. We had a quiet but lovely celebration, or celebrations, actually, and he outdid himself. Totally.

This was our 25th anniversary. A big one, actually. Really big.

In our time together we have loved deeply, fought heartily, and raised two amazing human beings.

Raising children is interesting because what really happens is as they're growing up, you are too. There are no manuals for raising babies. And every one is different, so even if you think you know what you're doing with your first one, it's all bets are off for the next one.

Seriously, our children couldn't be more different in terms of personality and general approach to life. Yet somehow, in spite of us, they have both grown up to be solid, caring, motivated, intelligent, loving human beings.

When GG and I have fought, it's usually been over something ridiculous. I won't bore you with details here, but know that over time..those petty annoyances that took precedence, lots of energy and caused no end of grief..will seem more like petty annoyances and not show stopping events in your life.

We've had a couple of battles royal, though. Those have been about personal growth, feeling unhappy in our skins, our jobs, our lives, whatever...as tend to happen over the long haul. The key to those, we've found, is to give the other person room to grow or contemplate the cause of their malaise and then support them while they seek a remedy. Deep trust and an understanding that sometimes the best gift we can give someone is a little space to figure shit out go a long long way.

Personal growth never comes at convenient times, either. It generally insists on showing up when life is already very full and stressful. But avoiding growth never works, and usually results in more damage that needs undoing over time.

But I digress.

Though we had discussed our celebration, and how it wouldn't be about the gifts, it would be about sharing a nice dinner, then a weekend away together, GG is a big fat liar.

First, during dessert after a ridiculously indulgent meal at Vernon's Speakeasy and Steakhouse, he presented me with a ring. That sparkles a lot, and that contains elements that I've commented about during the years. I love baguette settings...and the ring has those along both sides of the three pretty diamonds in the center. And as a friend of mine pointed out, the baguettes seem to hug the three center stones..which is extra symbolic.

Then, the next morning I awoke to find our dining room table set with a new set of gorgeous stoneware that GG had commissioned a ceramicist friend of ours to create for us. The color is a beautiful sagey green, and the set is absolutely lovely. We use it a lot, and intend for it to be part of our daily lives, unlike our wedding china, which is now hopelessly outdated unless you're really into mauve lilies on a grey border on plates. Mikasa rocks, but go for trendy and at some point the china will be obviously dated.

So he lied, and it made me cry. Twice. Not because he didn't tell the truth, but because what he chose to gift was incredibly thoughtful, and very much on the mark. I love my ring, even though I never thought I was a bling girl. It turns out I am. Really, I'll catch a glimpse of it from time to time as the light catches it and I always think, 'Wow! That is such a pretty ring! And it's on my hand!'  And the dishes? We're all about food. We create it, we share it, we enjoy it. Having a set of stoneware, made by a good friend? Absolutely lovely.

After GG lied twice, we spent the weekend away, which we had planned to do. We went to Ojo Caliente..a famous hot springs in Northern New Mexico. We soaked, we got massages, we relaxed.

25.  Lovely, poignant, all that it should be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea