Skip to main content

Just not enough time in the day...

I miss you guys. I miss regular posts and I miss keeping you abreast of my life and I miss..just having enough time to breathe and contemplate topics to share and generally just...be...at all.

Right now..things are as we might expect given all the factors in play.

School rocks. I love it. Every single day I sit in class and listen, and I read and read and read and talk with my fellow students I realize how very right this path is for me to take. It's hard to overemphasize how wonderful I think this is.

Work? Well, let's just say someone has injected our normally frenetic pace with some kind of an alien steroid, which is causing extreme pressure for all, and is making me take deep breaths and yearn for a modicum of perspective, which, of late, I've lost more often than I care to admit. I know, I should be able to control the forces at work, or more importantly, manage my perspective on it all.

But I haven't. And it maddens me. So I'm working on it. Seriously.

This long weekend has been about NOT exploding from stress. About deciphering the stress that awakened and disturbed me Friday night to the point where I was making deals with the universe to lighten the fuck up just for  a moment..so I could enumerate the reasons I feel blessed,  I could envision the calm, golden light of love that I welcome and beckon when I'm intensely pressured.. Finally, it came. And it washed away the tightness and it filled me with a resolve that I've sought, and it allowed me to fall back asleep.

But when I awoke Saturday, I was pissed. I was determined to find a better way to deal with the madness, because that peaking out, that inability to breathe and focus on anything important, like my daughter who is here for just a few days before she returns to RI for the summer...THAT shit needs to leave me alone to be present, and to enjoy the few hours that exist between the endless work pressure and school expectations...

I've created this mad vortex, so it makes sense that I will learn to manage and master the madness, yes?

 There was yoga. There were runs. There was some wine. At one point, there was a Dirty Goose. And it was delicious. But the best approach? Yoga.

Weird how the simple act of assuming restful, opening positions can shift one's perspective. Hip openers, guided meditation, mindfulness reminders...all made huge a difference.

As did a long Skype session with Son, who is baking at 115 degrees and 80 percent humidity in the Middle East...and negotiating his contract for the next academic year. He said, 'Mama, this is just an exercise in balance. You can handle a whole lot more than this combo of startup company and school presents. Give yourself a little credit here....'

Love that kid.

Anyway, things will be fine.

But I miss you guys. I'll try to be more in touch, but honestly? Some weeks I'm glad to escape with my ass attached.

And I'm not being dramatic here, that's a simple fact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...