Skip to main content

Babies away, Mama goes gray...until today...

Cheesy poetry, just for you. No charge. Which is good, because, really???

These last weeks have been interesting, and full of drama (unwanted) and relief (embraced) and the awareness of distance.

Serious distance.

Daughter is on the other side of our continent. That's a long way away. At a minimum it takes 8 hours travel to get to her. And that's with all flights leaving on schedule, etc.

That means that if something unthinkable happened to her and she was rushed to a hospital and we were called it would take an entire day to get to her. 8 of the longest hours ever.

Son, well, he's halfway around the world. That's a really long way. At a minimum, it takes 28 hours travel to get to him. And that's with all flights leaving on schedule and no unplanned revolutions occurring en route.

That means if something unthinkable happened to him and he was rushed to a hospital and we were were called it would take almost two complete days to get to him. And there is currently a rash of revolutions in case you hadn't  noticed, which means it might take longer. And.that.would.suck.

I realize the chance of something terrible happening to either of my progeny is very small. I realize that I cannot live my life thinking like this or I will certainly experience a stroke or something worse, and if that happened both of them would have to come to me and that would take a full day and another almost two days.

Nobody needs any of these scenarios, but in a Mama's brain they exist. They're not distracting to the point of obsession, but they're there, and I have to admit, I spend more time than I should worrying some days.

Which would explain some of the grays.

The women in my family gray fairly gracefully, usually starting in their late forties and taking until their late sixties to go totally white, based on my grandmas and where my mom is right now.

So I really don't mind it all that much.  Not really, but a little I mind it. And especially when I notice a lot of the wavy little bastards appearing and acting like they've been there all along because they're the same length as the rest of my hair but I just noticed them so they piss me off all at once.

Anyway, I've sworn never to be one of those ladies who dyes their hair. I'll go for highlights and lowlights and other sleights of my stylist's hand, but not a full dye job.

Because I don't want to look like a skunk. And that's what would happen when it grew out, and my hair grows really fast so that would happen fast and I would freak out and be in my stylist's chair every three weeks, which is really ridiculous.

But she's good. Really good. And today she did a cool lowlight thing with lots of deep deep auburn...that looks rich and cool and even when you can see a gray, which you can cuz we didn't cover them all up, the overall effect is nice.

Son says that having two kids living so far away, knee surgeries, a stressful job and revolutions occurring too close for comfort probably play a part in the gray thing.

Once again, that boy is right.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea