Skip to main content

On Tuesdays, NY, Sin City, life...

There is no way to really recap the events of the last couple of weeks, but I'll try.

First, there was New York. Great trip. Event went very well. Had a lovely lunch in Washington Square Park with Son. He's on track for graduation...which is, gulp!, next week! NEXT WEEK!


I love Washington Square Park. It's chock full of dogs, people noshing on various interesting things, musicians, skate boarders, and of course, no shortage of very important folks too focused on their stupid hand-held devices to smell the flowers, notice the Spring, feel the energy that blankets the entire area.

Really, while I was there I had a fantasy...involving an electromagnetic pulse that would have deadened all signals and resulted in, yes, you guessed it, human interaction. NOT digital/virtual, but REAL.

In an era when more people are virtually connected on multiple levels more than ever before, loneliness has become a pervasive condition. Turns out e-connectivity ain't the same as real life conversation. It's bizarre, really, when you think about it.

A secret that NYU students know? You walk around the arch of Washington Square until you graduate, then you can go beneath it. To do otherwise is bad luck. How cool is that?

Onward.

Media event, as I said, went well. The PR firm did a lovely job of setting up the venue and inviting the right folks. It was a success as a launch, I'm told, and good things will come of it over time.

Las Vegas...after returning home, unpacking/repacking and spending one night in my own bed, then catching a plane for that silly place...wore on me.

The business trip was fine. We did what we needed to do, which was all good. But I found myself feeling a little bit short..of patience with the shenanigans of competitors, mood swings (and really just personality) of various folks we encountered, etc., which told me 'nuff of Sin City for awhile.

Being home has been a blessing. Hubby's Bday was celebrated, albeit after the fact, and I think he enjoyed the dinner at Pappadeux and dessert at home. I don't like trying to catch up with important events like that, though, and don't plan to travel on that day again. It was rough, and I had an empty place inside of me as I thought about Hubby at home, alone, on his day. There's something inherently wrong about that.

This last weekend was lovely. Weather was nasty, but I managed to get out for a long run on Saturday, which felt amazingly good. Still loving the new shoes..they are working out well. Sunday was all about nesting...while the weather went completely bonkers. We had wind, sunshine, rain, slush, more wind, more sunshine, big clouds, snow, you name it. Really, what a day!

Daughter is on Lake Powell with her kayaking group. How cool is that? 7 days on the lake...with her best friends. At the end of her Senior year. What a wonderful pause...between end of year madness and graduation, right?

Oh, and the realization...that she's leaving, is hitting hard. The house, the house is way too quiet without her and her posse moving about. I love the impromptu calls...

'Mom, so is it ok if everyone comes over for dinner? We want to get together, and thought..our house was a good place..is that ok?'

Hell yes I'll cook for you, girl. And all of your friends. I love that. And you know it.

Anyway, it's far too quiet in our house. I actually managed to get home from work last night, do a complete yoga session without interruption from a phone, TV, or random source. It was lovely. Meditative. Restorative. Calming. Centering.

Weird.

I'm just sayin'.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea