Skip to main content

Things to love about Thursdays

Each day of the week holds significance.

Monday is all about getting back into the swing of things after cursing the alarm and dragging out of a very warm, comfortable bed.

Tuesday is about celebrating the fact that Monday is over, and actually attacking the monstrous To Do list that Monday's organizational frenzy produced.

Wednesday, well, it's about taking a breath in the middle of the chaos and knowing that at the end of the business day, the week will be more than half over. And continuing the momentum that finally occurred late Tuesday morning and must continue through late Friday.

Thursday. For me, Thursday is special. It's the day I treat myself to a chocolate steamer with an espresso shot from the Grove, a treat I savor all morning long, often accompanied by an apple somewhere around 10 a.m. I rewarm my drink around then, too, since it's not quite as piping hot as it should be to warm my core and preserve the deeply warm dark chocolate yumminess.

Tonight is also good TV night. Grey's Anatomy is on. It's my most recent addiction, picked up after Boston Legal went away. I've been trying to get into Private Practice, too, but am having a hard time with the super glitzy LA feel to it...it's not quite hard boiled enough for me, I guess. They're trying to interject enough of the New Age look and feel to appeal to a broader audience, and I get that. I'm just not into it yet.

The routine is usually to do a rock paper scissors thing with Hubby for the big TV, and either snuggle up on the couch with Daughter or head into the back of the house to snuggle while we indulge our Grey's addiction once more.

(In all fairness, Hubby usually retreats to the back of the house to watch The Office and relinquishes the living room to his girls. He's like that, and though we seldom tell him, we appreciate that he does that.)

When I look back on my life, Thursdays have always been special for some reason. Maybe because I was born on a Thursday?

Friday's benefit is obvious. Surviving the day with aplomb means the prospect of a respite from the stimulating but exhausting work environ and a chance to catch up on the aspects of life that simply must wait while the grist mill is in motion.

It's the little things, isn't it? Always seems to work out that way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...