Skip to main content

Feels like defensive medicine, some days.

They call it the practice of medicine for a reason - you're never done learning, never done improving your technique or expanding your knowledge to best serve your patients. It's a lifelong thing.

The dailiness of practice continues to fill me with happiness and gratitude. I look around, at times, and wonder how in the world I could find myself in the middle of health journeys, actively participating in quests for improved strength, reduced pain, better sleep, conception, etc. The road here has been intense, the days now present endless opportunities for connection, for learning, for practicing this amazing medicine.

As we are more accepted within a Western model, we focus significant administrative efforts becoming credentialed with insurance companies, complying with ever shifting requirements (some solid, some not so solid). We have opted to accept insurance. Some clinics do not. There are arguments for both positions. The demographic in which I practice is not one that would be able to receive regular treatments if we only ran a cash practice, so we accept insurance. After all, we're here to treat as many as possible, not just those with the expendable income to seek acupuncture.

But the amount of time we spend ensuring we're doing it just right, we're charting exhaustively and completely, we're documenting every.single.action in clinic is a LOT, and at the end of some weeks, after we've decided to improve our charting (electronic) and include more documentation to support medical necessity of acupuncture for our patients I'm OVER it. And if the chat rooms and blogs and network of practitioners who practice across the US is to be believed, we are going to be under increasing scrutiny in the months and years to come as the Western world attempts to roll us into their fold. Apparently many have abused the system over the years, which places all of us in the spotlight, now.

Thank goodness there is a break each week, because holy smokes. What a PITA.

Anyway, one day we may shift our focus to be all cash, to provide facial rejuvenation and nutritional counseling and various services that improve lives but that aren't always covered by insurance.

But for now, we practice for the masses. And we create a record trail designed to provide more than required to prove we're assessing and measuring and reporting and doing our very best to practice this ancient, amazing medicine in a Western wrapper.

We're defending our medicine, our judgment, our practice at every turn. The trick is to do it well and understand that the time expended defending means we get a chance to serve up Oriental Medicine to a world very, very much in need of soothing and healing.

Warmly,
Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea