Skip to main content

Great Home Repair and Improvement Project of 2011, Craving Chocolate and Cars that Stall

I don't mean to be boring with this whole project thing. I realize you probably don't really care that we chose Sensational Sand as the paint color for the bedroom and hall, or that we've opted for brushed nickel outlet and switch covers and knobs and hinges, but this is what I've been living--details like this are consuming me right now.

Bedroom and Hall
This weekend we painted the bedroom and the hall, and they look awesome. I am craving chocolate cake though, since the color of the paint very closely resembles very light milk chocolate frosting...and the texture style we're using is very very similar to that of a low profile frosting. I may have to get some cake at lunch. This craving started Saturday, and has not been fulfilled yet, which could actually rupture something inside my Princess self if allowed to continue without satisfaction. I'm just sayin'...

The light on my dash right now, which prompted visit to Carl the mechanic







Oh wait, I can't. Because we had to drop my car off at the mechanic this morning so they could investigate a Service Engine Soon light issue that appeared right after the car stalled on me in the Taco Cabana line last week. Really. It's an automatic, so stalling? Not funny. So I'm kind of cranky about that too.
Do you see why I'm craving this cake now??


Perhaps when I finally get my car back later today I'll just swing by the Flying Star that is literally a stone's throw away from our mechanic for a slice of cake. That may be what gets me through the day, actually, so I'm just going to declare that act my final To Do item of the day...

We also made a semi-executive/kind of WTF crazy decision to continue with the texture and paint work. I'm not kidding. When hubby tossed the idea out to me yesterday afternoon I could tell he had thought it all the way through and was sort of just informing me of it...and that he'd intended to go through with texturing the living room and the dining room, too, then painting both, before carpet gets installed sometime between now and later on when daughter comes home for Spring Break.

I overreacted, shut down, shook my head, felt my BP shoot right through the roof since the prospect of doing so much more means spending more money, focusing exclusively on the house project until the middle of March, paint fumes, texture fumes, and general fucking chaos in the house. Which tends to make me a little cranky and to feel out of sorts and like there is NOTHING in place anywhere it's ALL in the garage or in a corner or NOT where it should be.

I got over it in a little while.

It's all going to be fine.

But there are a couple of things that I just need to put out there.

1. This NY trip I'm about to embark upon? Really looking forward to it. Really really.
Even Frances knew, in Under the Tuscan Sun, that at some point during a renovation project, you just have to get the hell away from things for a bit. That is what NY is to me right now. Daughter will be joining  me for a couple of days, we'll relax a little, walk a lot because that's what you do in the city, have some good meals, and bond. Away from the texturing/painting/carpeting extravaganza that's happening at home without her knowledge. Well she knows some of it, but not a lot of it.

2. I am not giving up my evening glass of wine anytime soon. Ain't gonna happen.

And at some point in the very near future I need to think about what to pack for NY. And do a mani/pedi. And then actually pack. And then get my little self to the airport very early Friday morning, since my flight LEAVES at 7 a.m.

Which is damned early.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea