Skip to main content

Not a lunch special, but if you want to pay more you can have it at lunch. Just for dinner pricing.

Yesterday was lunch with Grandma and her retirement home cronies.

The restaurant was East Ocean, a Chinese restaurant I've driven by probably a thousand times but I've never visited because the parking lot has always been almost empty which made me think not many people go there, which may be a mistake since I drive by at odd times and that's probably not a fair way to judge a restaurant but there you have it.

Ah, the inner workings of my mind boggle, don't they?

Anyway, one of the residents recommended this place, and sang its praises the entire time we were there, which was awhile because it takes that group awhile to sit down (at a table that was originally set up as one big one then broken down because big tables are a pain to pay out since usually one check is required), review menus/choose, then eat, then, OMG, pay out. So at least an hour and a half.

During which my Grandma Gin burned her mouth on her spicy spicy scallops (that she'd ordered because 'everyone said the scallops were to die for...and cheap too') that she refused to trade with my less spicy yet intensely salty chicken chow mein. But she sputtered and complained the entire lunch, and martyrdom was her role of preference for the event. This may help explain some of my stubbornness...I think I come by it directly down the maternal line. It's simple genetics.

And during which Grandma's friend Helen made significant inroads into a big plate of chow mein, sweet and sour pork and fried rice, which is cool since Helen is known for ordering yet not eating much. And everyone was relieved that she ate.Which made her grin. Which made me think Helen knows how to get attention if she needs it.

And also during which a very negative, very loud, very wide woman who closely resembles the Dick Tracy villain Flattop Jones, though sporting very long fake nails, red, complained incessantly about everything. If she could see it, she could diss it. And she did that for the entire lunch. But we all ignored her...at some point she became background noise, though I did see my Grandma frowning from time to time as a particularly offensive remark wafted across the table...

Also during which I attempted to restore the ring on Grandma's phone. She somehow silenced it...and for an hour I focused on that bad boy and could.not.find.where.to.turn.on.the.ringer.again.  But I didn't get upset because technology can be like that and cell phones are all different, and few of them are intuitive but still, I could have used the success, you know? People assume I'm tech savvy since I direct the marketing efforts for a tech company but that's not true. A fact to which any of my very patient colleagues will attest ...

An hour and a half at the beginning of which the woman who recommended this place in the first place became flustered because she was there for the egg foo yung, but they don't serve it on the lunch menu ...you have to order off the dinner menu, and it'll cost more. She whined. She tried everything she could think of to convince the waitress to serve up a lunch sized portion, but to no avail. After which she resorted to just begging for a 'sample'.   Seriously.  She ended up ordering a small bowl of wonton soup. Oh, and she was inspired to make a very important phone call right in the middle of things...which we heard, of course, though we attempted not to listen. I just hope her daughter's biopsy turns out ok.

In then end, it was a pleasant lunch, and, as always, it was nice to see everyone. They're a remarkable group, the youngest of which entered this life over 80 years ago, and when they get on a roll and talk about their experiences, it's a hoot.  Also, their lack of filters is refreshing. They just say it like it is.

So I hugged Grandma goodbye, and promised to be at the next one, which is only two weeks away since this was technically a makeup lunch for the one that got canceled when it snowed and the city shut down. Next time we get to eat Brazilian..lots of grilled meats, and per the strange little man/lifestyle director (former high school teacher), 'Their desserts are as big as your head which makes it worthwhile to go even if you're a vegetarian!'

I'm in.

But now I'm just trying to get some serious water retention under control. I'm pretty sure East Ocean may be the last Chinese restaurant in the free world to still use copious amounts of MSG. I could feel it in my mouth during the meal, and definitely know I'm retaining for no good reason. Seriously.

TMI?

You're welcome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea