Skip to main content

It's been a minute

Oh, what a summer it's been!

Heat, the likes of which we have never seen seems to be enveloping the planet. They told us this would happen, and it is. 

Now what? Is it time to think underground bunkers? To really explore moon colonies? To continue, on an individual basis to do what we feel we can to help the greater effort?

We bought a hybrid two years ago. We'll probably buy an electric car once we feel like the infrastructure is in place, but right now, it's not.  We recycle. Glass (WHO is drinking all of that wine?! I ask myself each time I toss the bottles into the big bin.). Food. We compost all but animal products, and use it in the garden.  Cardboard/cans/plastics go in the recycle bin each Tuesday.

My husband thinks the whole recycle thing is a big scam, and that all of the recycling and trash gets taken to the same place - the dump - because there isn't adequate staffing to sort and really carry out the recycle process.  I feel this is a cynical view, but some days I secretly agree when yet another article appears about local mismanagement of funds for nefarious purposes. 

And then we watched a movie about an asteroid hitting the earth and creating an extinction level event, which makes you wonder if, in the end, that's going to be what cleans our clock. Which is cynical, because predicting something like that is nearly impossible, when the climate change warning is on the wall. We need to stuff now, more stuff than we're already doing, to try to make any difference possible.

Onward.

It's rained, which is a blessing. Our typical monsoons have been less than spectacular for several years, so a year when we get nice rains several times a week for a few weeks is special indeed. The gardens love it. My attitude improves as the air is washed clean and the desert perks up with the moisture.

With luck and continued moisture/sun the tomatoes and cucumbers will ripen and my husband will be able to produce the lovely salsa and spicy sweet pickles he's become known for. He has a following now, addicts of his yummy products, and he doesn't like to disappoint. And the smell of the salsa bubbling before it's canned, well, that's among my top 10 happy aromas right now. Pavlovian response includes salivating and wondering if I should make a blue corn chip run just in case there is some left over for the chef's family to enjoy.

The Olympics have begun, and we have so far enjoyed fencing, soccer, and gymnastics. Those athletes inspire, and demonstrate what can happen if you have a vision, talent, and are willing to work tirelessly for decades to reach your goal. I love the games....

I hope you are all well. And that you have regained some sense of equilibrium after the nonsense that was 2020-2023. We're all working hard to release the accumulated stress and trauma around the bitch virus' antics, and may be successful at some point. With tenacity.

Huge hugs,

Stevie


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

What do you wear in Austin in October??

It's suppose to be in the 80's during the day, and only in the 70's at night. It's humid. I'm not sure what to pack. For once I'm attending a conference instead of having a booth at the tradeshow and networking that way. It's going to be good...to be in the classroom, listening to what people are caring about now. I look forward to it. But I'm spending way too much time worrying about whether jeans are too hot, capris are too cliche, clogs are passe, should I just go with a theme and be done with it, and all that crap. Seriously, you'd think I have better things to waste mental energy on, right? Apparently not so much.

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea