Skip to main content

It's been a minute

Oh, what a summer it's been!

Heat, the likes of which we have never seen seems to be enveloping the planet. They told us this would happen, and it is. 

Now what? Is it time to think underground bunkers? To really explore moon colonies? To continue, on an individual basis to do what we feel we can to help the greater effort?

We bought a hybrid two years ago. We'll probably buy an electric car once we feel like the infrastructure is in place, but right now, it's not.  We recycle. Glass (WHO is drinking all of that wine?! I ask myself each time I toss the bottles into the big bin.). Food. We compost all but animal products, and use it in the garden.  Cardboard/cans/plastics go in the recycle bin each Tuesday.

My husband thinks the whole recycle thing is a big scam, and that all of the recycling and trash gets taken to the same place - the dump - because there isn't adequate staffing to sort and really carry out the recycle process.  I feel this is a cynical view, but some days I secretly agree when yet another article appears about local mismanagement of funds for nefarious purposes. 

And then we watched a movie about an asteroid hitting the earth and creating an extinction level event, which makes you wonder if, in the end, that's going to be what cleans our clock. Which is cynical, because predicting something like that is nearly impossible, when the climate change warning is on the wall. We need to stuff now, more stuff than we're already doing, to try to make any difference possible.

Onward.

It's rained, which is a blessing. Our typical monsoons have been less than spectacular for several years, so a year when we get nice rains several times a week for a few weeks is special indeed. The gardens love it. My attitude improves as the air is washed clean and the desert perks up with the moisture.

With luck and continued moisture/sun the tomatoes and cucumbers will ripen and my husband will be able to produce the lovely salsa and spicy sweet pickles he's become known for. He has a following now, addicts of his yummy products, and he doesn't like to disappoint. And the smell of the salsa bubbling before it's canned, well, that's among my top 10 happy aromas right now. Pavlovian response includes salivating and wondering if I should make a blue corn chip run just in case there is some left over for the chef's family to enjoy.

The Olympics have begun, and we have so far enjoyed fencing, soccer, and gymnastics. Those athletes inspire, and demonstrate what can happen if you have a vision, talent, and are willing to work tirelessly for decades to reach your goal. I love the games....

I hope you are all well. And that you have regained some sense of equilibrium after the nonsense that was 2020-2023. We're all working hard to release the accumulated stress and trauma around the bitch virus' antics, and may be successful at some point. With tenacity.

Huge hugs,

Stevie


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...