Skip to main content

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be.

This week for me:

Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword.

School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday.

For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and will lay out my outfit tonight. And probably press it. Because it's the first day of a new term, and there are new profs and a new clinical supervisor and so on.

An aside. School is interesting when you're my age, as are the endless emails regarding the school's absence policy, rules of behavior, parking charts, financial policy. I find it interesting that we are being trained as physicians of Oriental medicine, and yet are often treated like early college students. I suppose they must impose rules to keep chaos at bay, but there's a part of me that goes, 'Seriously? Are you sure it's a good idea to let people as clearly irresponsible and incapable of making good choices as we are loose on an unsuspecting patient population? Really?' Ahem, apparently I am still in junior high...in my mind.

Over the weekend I rushed around doing pre-school stuff. Like laundry, which I folded and put away as it was emerging from the dryer, unlike my normal practice of doing it all, then getting to the folding part as energy allows. Like giving myself a mani-pedi, because even though we wear close-toed shoes in clinic, knowing my toes are painted and pretty beneath the comfy Danskos gives me a strange kind of confidence. Kind of like wearing pretty panties beneath subdued slacks, I think.

Tonight will be about relaxing a little, maybe giving the books for the class a glance, and then just settling in to evening.

Because as of tomorrow morning, things get real. Again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long