Skip to main content

Just not enough time in the day...

I miss you guys. I miss regular posts and I miss keeping you abreast of my life and I miss..just having enough time to breathe and contemplate topics to share and generally just...be...at all.

Right now..things are as we might expect given all the factors in play.

School rocks. I love it. Every single day I sit in class and listen, and I read and read and read and talk with my fellow students I realize how very right this path is for me to take. It's hard to overemphasize how wonderful I think this is.

Work? Well, let's just say someone has injected our normally frenetic pace with some kind of an alien steroid, which is causing extreme pressure for all, and is making me take deep breaths and yearn for a modicum of perspective, which, of late, I've lost more often than I care to admit. I know, I should be able to control the forces at work, or more importantly, manage my perspective on it all.

But I haven't. And it maddens me. So I'm working on it. Seriously.

This long weekend has been about NOT exploding from stress. About deciphering the stress that awakened and disturbed me Friday night to the point where I was making deals with the universe to lighten the fuck up just for  a moment..so I could enumerate the reasons I feel blessed,  I could envision the calm, golden light of love that I welcome and beckon when I'm intensely pressured.. Finally, it came. And it washed away the tightness and it filled me with a resolve that I've sought, and it allowed me to fall back asleep.

But when I awoke Saturday, I was pissed. I was determined to find a better way to deal with the madness, because that peaking out, that inability to breathe and focus on anything important, like my daughter who is here for just a few days before she returns to RI for the summer...THAT shit needs to leave me alone to be present, and to enjoy the few hours that exist between the endless work pressure and school expectations...

I've created this mad vortex, so it makes sense that I will learn to manage and master the madness, yes?

 There was yoga. There were runs. There was some wine. At one point, there was a Dirty Goose. And it was delicious. But the best approach? Yoga.

Weird how the simple act of assuming restful, opening positions can shift one's perspective. Hip openers, guided meditation, mindfulness reminders...all made huge a difference.

As did a long Skype session with Son, who is baking at 115 degrees and 80 percent humidity in the Middle East...and negotiating his contract for the next academic year. He said, 'Mama, this is just an exercise in balance. You can handle a whole lot more than this combo of startup company and school presents. Give yourself a little credit here....'

Love that kid.

Anyway, things will be fine.

But I miss you guys. I'll try to be more in touch, but honestly? Some weeks I'm glad to escape with my ass attached.

And I'm not being dramatic here, that's a simple fact.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long