Skip to main content

On ever changing minds, er continually examining options

Bamboo floors? Not gonna happen now. Picture lots of deep conversations about warmth and noise and such, followed by opting for an equally cool but very different option.

Carpet. Lambswool is the color, and I think it will look fabulous in our casa.

It's going in son's bedroom, the hallway...and now the living room and dining room.

Not kidding here. How we shifted from bamboo in one part of the house to carpet in more parts is kind of a mystery but has to do with 'while you're already upside down and at it anyway....'

Oh, and we retextured the walls..ourselves. Contractor came back with a very strange and large quote which made us rock back on our heels and say what the fuck are you trying to pull here dude? reconsider our plan.

My body, today, is feeling beat up, but we did it. The walls look cool, and will look even cooler once we paint next weekend.

And hubby installed the new kitchen sink faucet which is awesome! For all the reasons we thought it would be. And more. Love it.

As gratifying as ceaseless home improvement is, I have no immediate plans to quit my cushy day job in which I'm simply required to steer the marketing with creativity, innovation and passion at every turn for a small tech startup which equates to constant challenges and endless stress. Failure is not an option.

So that should tell you something. I am not a wimp, I'm simply not strong enough to do manual labor for a living.

My hat is off to anyone who does.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...