Skip to main content

Life, love and the dating game, or My friend J is a woman of extremes

Dating, as my friends who are out there playing the game insist, is not for wimps. Whether you're trolling via your friend network, or utilizing the worldwide 'web, the process is fraught with silliness.

So my friend J is going out tonight. To dinner.  With an engineer her friends introduced her to at a wedding they all attended recently. Safe meeting ground, and good references since it was real friends and not some online service or scam 'vouching' for the guy. She feels good about this upcoming dinner, thinks the guy actually has a pretty good sense of humor (I did NOT say 'for an engineer' cuz that wouldn't be very nice).

There's only one problem. She's letting him pick her up. She never does this. See, she needs a way to escape..just in case things get dicey, which, as it turns out, they can do with no warning.

Turns out by the time he'd had her confirm her address, she was too deep in to back away without seeming rude. J is intensely polite, so it's no mystery why she occasionally gets into little binds like this one.

But on to the extreme part. I consider J to be one of the more spiritually attuned, highly intelligent people within my circle. She's funny and smart and very generous of herself with friends. She's also a woman who eschews pigeonholing and stereotyping and admitting to having a 'type' preference of her own. It's one of her endearing qualities, giving everyone a chance.

That said, this last weekend she spent time with a musician she's known for many years, and with whom things felt good. They shared quality time with friends and alone, over dinner sharing wine and music and personal tidbits and tales. They will most likely see each other again, though coordinating schedules will be a bit of trick. He travels. A lot. She's stationery with her job. They'll have to address that at some point if things progress.

Anyway, J has just begun dating after a long relationship's demise. She took time to heal and ask herself some of the harder questions, and is slowly putting her toe back into the dating pool. And clearly she's keeping her options open, which is both prudent and very interesting if you're on the outside looking in like so many of her married friends are...

It'll be interesting to see just how Engineer Man fares against Classical Musician Man. Engineer has one thing going for him that I know of. He just went to a tattoo convention, where he watched midget wrestling. That falls into the 'things that make your eyebrows shoot off your head' category, right?! There has to be a great story there...

Oh, J has an out just in case her date with engineer fails. I told her to text me with 'Help. Date gone south. Bailout needed.' and I'd be there in 15 minutes. Without question.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...