Skip to main content

It must be Fall

Here in New Mexico we take our green chili seriously. We love it. We talk about it endlessly, we await each new harvest with great anticipation, and then we do what we do, in our own special way when it's time to bring it home.

First, there is choosing the temperature. This process requires conferring with the local roaster, reading recent articles about the heat of this year's crop, then deciding which way to go. This year we got Hot, which, we were told, is really Medium Hot.

Second, there is the roasting. This requires waiting in line, usually in sweltering heat, while a sweaty roaster person dumps the chili in the roaster and begins the process. They adjust the flames a few times, monitor the progress of the roast, and when it's just right, they dump it into a plastic garbage bag they've put into a box, then twist the top of the bag shut, then hand it to you to take home and do with it what you wish.

Third, and this is where most of the variations occur, the chili is prepped for the freezer. Some people peel it all right then, chop it, then bag it. Some people just peel and seed it, then bag it. Some people just bag it, knowing that the peels will slip off easily after the freezing. We are in the third category, and we like to have a tequila toast before we begin bagging. It's an annual thing. Anyway, we buy a ton of freezer Ziplocs, (quart size), then fill them with chili, then let them cool on trays for a couple of hours before we put them in the freezer.

Fourth, and this is part of the awesomeness of the ritual, we make quesadillas using the fresh chopped chili, the filling of the moment, and nice tortillas. This we usually  consume with gusto, and make note of exactly what we think the temperature of this year's crop is as we enjoy the crispy, cheesy, chili filled yumminess. This year's crop is definitely toward the Hot end of Medium Hot, and it'll get a little hotter as it sits in the freezer. This we've learned from many years of reaching the end of the frozen chili, somewhere mid-summer, and finding that the Mild to Medium has become at least Hot during its stay in the deep freeze, a lesson that has, on more than one occasion, relieved my tongue of the first several layers of skin.

Fall is in the air, and with it the amazing, very New Mexico, aroma of chili roasting in countless roasters across the state. Needless to say, the salivary glands are in overdrive for weeks during this sacred annual ritual, and I believe that those of us who have grown up in this state mark the change of seasons by this, not by the calendar.

That's just how it is, you know?

Hugs,

Stevie


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea