Skip to main content

Going Mediterranean

At the beginning of this semester I decided to head back into omnivore status from Primal status in terms of nutritional choices. After 2 1/2 years of vilifying grains of all kinds, most sugar, spending inordinate amounts of time conjuring up ways to wrap things to create sandwich-like foods, and boring every single one of my family members and friends with the idealized Primal approach, I threw in the towel.

I had begun to dislike meat. I had begun to have fantasies about toast and the occasional tortilla. I thought long and hard about making the change, and then went for it.

I began heading in a mostly plant protein vs animal protein direction, and have settled on the Mediterranean Diet. Diet is a misnomer; it's a way of life, sustainable forever. It's ridiculously similar to the way I ate growing up. It's deliciousness with lots of fresh veggies, herbs, lean proteins, plenty of good fats (olive oil, avocado, nuts, coconut oil), and the approach produces beautiful, appealing dishes.

A summer dinner could look like: Caprese Salad, Whole Wheat Crustini, a glass of red wine, and Baked Pears wWalnuts for dessert. Yum, right?

And I am feeling really good. Energy is high, brain seems clear (as it gets at this point...ahem), and I've fallen back in love with preparing food.

I found some really good resources on the Oldways website (oldwayspt.org), and feel like I have all that I need to establish a strong foundation with this approach and move forward. The Mediterranean food pyramid looks like this:





I'll let you know how it goes, but a few weeks in things are feeling fabulous.

Hugs,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...