Skip to main content

Midweek Update - Under control as long as you're generous with the definition of control

My oh my what a week it's turned out to be!

First there was the not holiday, Memorial Day, which felt more like a prelude to a complicated dance.

Then there was Daughter's wisdom teeth.

Then there was the negative reaction to Vicodin, which involved a blackout in the kitchen.

Then there was the new pain med prescription that we decided would be good to have on hand but not use as long as the ibuprofen was doing enough..which, so far, it has.

Then there was a quiz today, which, thankfully, I managed to do fine on. Go figure. (Ok, three serious hours of focused study last night while my girl was snoozing in the recliner might have helped.)

Then there was work, or IS work, since I'm still here but actually contemplating heading out before clinic to check on the girl one more time, though the last time I checked on her she was having a very nice time being entertained by her cousins and my motherinlaw.....

I tweaked out yesterday. Fortunately the loving kindness shown me by JL and EM made me NOT cry for very long and to laugh right away and to mostly get perspective when I was completely underwater for a little bit.

You know how you work yourself up into a tizzy sometimes, a tizzy that just grows and feeds itself and does that exponential growth thing? I did that.

Apparently I was upset that I was on deck for what felt like everything...taking care of the girl, which of course I don't mind but that on top of complications from pain meds plus watering the goddamned yard (which doesn't yet have and desperately needs a more automated approach thankyouverymuch) plus work (at which I was remarkably ineffectual and for covering me I owe JL a big piece of chocolate or a yummy glass of wine at least when she's here next) plus school (for which I needed to study study study to redeem myself after a lackluster quiz performance last week that prompted my prof to ask if I'd slept at all the night before..sheesh) plus there was dinner to figure out and a very long day to prepare for today and at some point

I HAD HAD ENOUGH. AND I TWEAKED.

But once I cried a little  and laughed a little, things got better.

And though I confessed to Daughter later in the day that I had, in fact, tweaked, she said, 'Oh, Mom. From where I'm sitting, that was a tiny tweak. I'm used to full on college girl drama tweaks. You must have been tweaking BIG on the inside.'

And so I was.

But now I'm not.

And daughter is on the mend. And I just have clinic tonight to survive. And then it'll be Friday and though it is scheduled to be a full day what with meetings and such, hopefully it will go fast.

So I can stumble home and try to recover before next week gets here.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long