Skip to main content

Why does time fly when you're on break and drags when you're not?

I think it's fundamentally unfair that time can accelerate or decelerate at will. It's not a skill we humans can wrangle, but we're caught in the flow and it can be nausea inducing at times. Or just annoying, like it is right now.

Being on break between terms in a program that has decided trimesters are the be all end all? Is like coming up for just enough air after a dive to fill your lungs once before you're pushed waaaay down into the depths again.

I almost feel like I can't relax, because just when I remember what it feels like to NOT be behind, to NOT have to study, to NOT owe someone something in terms of brilliance or memorizing or constant deliverables...it'll be time to shine and regurgitate facts and deliver. Again.

As I write this, I'm reminded of PTSD stories and don't want to spend too much time considering whether the program I've undertaken is traumatizing me in some deep and dark way, and that I will emerge somehow..different, and afraid of the smell of moxa or the sound of a needle being pulled from its sterile plastic sheath.

I think I'll not spend too much time considering this, as it feels rather dark and, really, at this point? I'm in for the duration, so I'll just trade out acupuncture for analysis when I finally extract myself from this Oriental vortex into which I've plunged.

There's still this week..what remains of it anyway, and the weekend. Then it's balls out once more. Classes Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays. Clinic, Thursday evenings. Homework the rest of the time.

Good thing I'm sturdy. Good thing this is the coolest thing I've ever undertaken. (Parenting wins hands down anywhere, so I'm not diminishing it by comparing it to a career change thankyouverymuch.)

Good thing I'm a smarty pants that likes to learn things just to know them and gets to do that in a very cool academic setting.

For now, I'm going to focus on relaxing just enough....to rejuvenate, and to contemplate ways to get better at the study/performance game so that this time next term (and for subsequent terms through graduation) I can get closer to the elusive 'relaxation place' faster.

I'm a quick learner sometimes, but others? Not so much. And I can already feel that slingshot effect beginning - the one where between now and first class next week time will FLY. Literally, and I'll just hold on for dear life.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long