Skip to main content

Dessert battles. Really.

Saturday night we're having dinner at some friends' house. They're old, dear friends, in fact if you've been following me for long you may have read about their wedding.

Their original invite said to just come, don't worry about bringing anything, etc., but really, that's never ok in my book.

So I volunteered to make an Angel Food cake with European Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze, right out of Joy of Cooking. I've been wanting to make this for awhile, and this couple is a perfect audience - they love good food, they appreciate the art of dining and so they're perfect to share something like this with.

What I was thinking of making
So we had a plan.

Except then hubby started *'suggesting' that I make cheesecake with cherry topping that I make from our own cherries. That happen to be abundant right now. *Note: hubby is a Taurus, and really stubborn by nature. And a Taurus. And he really really likes cheesecake with cherry topping. Really. So 'suggesting' amounted to a protracted series of comments revolving around how absolutely delicious my cheesecake with cherries is and how we're so fortunate to have trees producing both sweet and sour cherries and how fresh is so awesome when creating great dishes, and so on and so forth until I finally looked up at him and said, 'Have you blown yourself out yet? You're exhausting me. I get that you'd like me to make cheesecake with cherries from our yard. I do.'

Which is logical except I was set on making an Angel Cake. With European Bittersweet Chocolate Glaze. Right out of Joy of Cooking.

So I clammed up, then said, 'Honey, I realize how much you love that cheesecake cherry thing, I really do. But I feel like all I ever do is make peoples' favorite stuff. I want to stretch my dessert crafting skills, use my creativity, you know, just let myself go a little, once in awhile, when it comes to stuff like this.'

He looked at me like I had a third eye. And then he, wisely, wiped that look right off of his face and became Unreadable Man, but inside I could tell he was confused that I would NOT do the logical thing and use the fresh fruit from our very own trees in a time-tested, crowd-pleasing dessert like cheesecake with cherries.

Being the bratty bitch  immature, snotty single child that I am at times, I let him simmer overnight.

What I'll actually be making.
But before bed I texted my friend K, explained that hubby had a special request for the cheesecake with cherry topping thing. And she consulted with her hubby, then responded with a 'that sounds lovely.'

So we're picking cherries. And pitting cherries. And I'm making the sauce. Then making the cheesecake, which is best if made twelve hours in advance, then chilled. So probably tonight I'll be doing that.

'Cuz apparently in our house? It's all about obliging requests, albeit begrudgingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea