Skip to main content

Sin City, wave action and insomnia

First of all, I got enough of the things on my pre-trip ToDo list done to actually go, which was awe.some.

There were a few dicey moments, though, most notably the one leading up to my actually arriving at the airport the morning of departure. It was one of those mornings that starts out ok then quickly becomes a blur, and stressful in spite of your best planning and all of that. Plus it started at 0400 when family got up to finish packing the car and then head out on their adventure.

When the family wakes up at 0400, everyone does even if one person isn't on the first departure wave. And then that person, after hugging everyone, reminding everyone to take last minute stuff like pillows and such, then seeing them off, tries to go back to bed for a bit, but that doesn't work so well. Because that person is worried that in spite of an alarm she'll oversleep, which will trigger her anxiety dream #1 which is that revolving around missing flights and being unprepared for trips and generally embarrassing herself in front of the whole world.

This dream is similar to ones experienced in college wherein I was very very naked in front of a large group of students presenting on a topic for which I was completely and totally unprepared. You know the one. We've all had it at one time or another. My work anxiety dream is similar..and I usually end up at my destination with nothing but what I'm wearing, which prompts a stressful, late-night shopping expedition for the bare necessities.

Where was I?

Oh, so family got off ok, and I finally managed to get out the door, but after I'd loaded my stuff in daughter's car, started it up, then realized I needed to get it gassed up stat (she's a typical teen, keeps less than a quarter tank in it at all times, a practice I've yelled at her for, but one which is prompted by her having to buy her own gas this summer so I guess I need to shut up). I sighed, then took off. And then about 8 minutes away from the house realized I'd forgotten to close the garage door.

So I whipped around and made my way back, and by then I was running so late I decided to use our truck instead since I knew it had gas in it. So I ran into the house, grabbed my truck keys, transferred all my stuff into it, closed the garage door, and hit the road. Fast. ' Cuz I was running late by now.

I made it. But thank goodness for the V8, a fairly clear freeway, and no watchful cops at that moment.

Made it to Vegas, though a little strung out due to stress fest leading up to flight.

The trip, well, was good. It was successful on many levels, which is what we want. So I'm glad about that. But I'm pretty tired. I set up and tore down all by myself this time, something that's doable but not easy, and I need another day to recuperate, I think.

While I was away, I got a voice message from the shoe store about my waves. They had decided to exchange my double waves for single waves. Straight across. Which means I got what I wanted, really, but lost $50 in the process. Which will teach me to change styles at ALL if I've found one that works just fine.

This morning's walk with pumpy arms and new shoes went well, but I'm reserving judgment until about the 50 mile mark this time. I opened my big mouth last time way before I should have and that didn't turn out so well.

Insomnia..is something Hubby suffers from, not me. Unless I'm stressed about some changes at work that will directly impact day to day priorities, or I've just returned from a thought provoking trip and am full of ideas I want to try/implement in the marketing effort, or if I'm anxious in general about my family being on the road and me being alone until the weekend and keeping the gardens alive and watered in 90+ temps and so on.

Sounds like meditation is in order, doesn't it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Frigid

There's cold, and then there's the cold that takes your breath away when you breathe in too deeply. We've got that right now. Clear, blue skies, and frigid cold temps. There's just enough warmth in the sun to cause the enormous icicles that have formed along our roof to break off, sort of a mini calving like you'd see in the Antarctic when an iceberg cleaves. And loud, a big CRACK! happens, and then Whump! it hits the ground. The governor just issued a state of emergency for the entire state. And asked all of us to lower our thermostats ten degrees! Right. So, if we're having issues keeping pipes unfrozen with normal range furnace use, what's going to happen when/if we drop that range ten degrees? That's the difference between liquid and frozen water. Ten degrees doesn't sound like a lot, but it is. And I'm pretty sure she's not going to have her staff lower her thermostat by the ten degrees she's proposed, then put on her silk long