Skip to main content

So, hi.

Happy Summer! Really summer..like 6th of July summer!

Par for the course here in the high desert, it just rained. Hard. I believe the term 'like cats and dogs' would have fit perfectly. There was darkness as the storm moved in - fast. There was thunder, lightening, big wind, then RAIN! And some hail, but more rain...

For about 15 minutes, then it blew itself out. The fish pond is overflowing. The garden is super happy. The air smells great.

It's over.

Onward.

Have you ever had a feeling of heaviness, of just plain fatigue that won't let up? Have you ever had to take inventory of your day prior to your feet hitting the ground just so you know a: what day it is, and b: where you're expected to be and what you're expected to do?

Me too. Right now. I blame this on the seemingly endless journey of Oriental Medical school. I blame this on being at midlife and understanding the need for true rest, and knowing that elusive pastime will have to wait until after I graduate finish boards get licensed open a practice begin to succeed.

Also, I have a few observations to make about school.

First, the trimester system was designed by a sadist. It completely interferes with settling into knowledge, and allowing what you've crammed into your brain for the last months become a permanent part of you.

Second, arbitrary, ego-based decisions that impact many, many lives? Suck.  Case in point, our school is moving to Santa Fe, totally closing the Albuquerque campus which has several thousand patients, and a high probably of growth should the school decide to actually promote the program. Which they haven't. And they won't, now, since the campus is closing at the end of this term. And I will be commuting to Santa Fe for the last year of my education.

Mostly, that sucks. I am trying to find a silver lining to this cloud bank, but for right now? Lots of dark, puffy, sucky clouds.

Third, I have, in the past three years, learned how much I can learn, how much discomfort I can take before I break, and how little ego was appropriate early in the program when we were all humble students. I've not yet broken, simply grown stronger, and I've learned humility in a big way. But now, with the 4th year just around the corner, it's time to find a backbone, a conviction, some opinions about how to practice this medicine, and step forward and perform. Which I'm working on.

Turns out if you've learned humility, developing a pair once more takes practice. Who knew?

Qi gong has become a daily mainstay for me. It provides a calming, centering practice that keeps me from finding my breaking points ...in any area, and for that I am grateful.

I went for two walk/jogs over the last few days and realize how I've missed that. During midterms I was head down just surviving yet another gauntlet of testing. I did Qi gong, but my outside stuff fell away...After waking up this morning sore but happier than I have been in awhile, I realized it's about making things that help me stay healthy and strong a priority. Note to self, put yourself at the top of the daily To Do list.

So I'll have to fill you in on the minutia of my life if I can find the time to write more. Since I last posted, I got my hair cut short again ( I need to update my photo, yes?), my son has been home for a wonderful visit, my husband has become a hiking all star, my daughter and her boyfriend have moved in together, a dear friend has had open heart surgery, Grandma Gin has had another stent placed (which worked beautifully!), my Mom and her boyfriend have adopted an ailing crow fledgling and are nursing it back to health, and some close friends tied the knot. So there's plenty to write about, and I promise I'll try, energy and time allowing...

That's about all for now. I hope you are all enjoying your summer, and that your lives are full and interesting and make you giggle from time to time.

Big hugs and much love,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...