Skip to main content

The run

I have the body of a sprinter, but always ran long distance. My wind would stabilize, my muscles would synchronize, my mind would clear...at about mile 2.5 and just improve after that.

For decades I ran. My high school P. E. teacher, Ms. Vidano, instilled the love of the run, and it remains to this day, long past when I should endeavor to tread the roads for miles and miles.

The run sustained me after my (very early life) divorce.

The run helped reconnect with a childhood friend, who had ventured far for college but returned for work, and who found me enjoying a post-work cigarette and glass of wine on my balcony one night and said, 'Oh, no, this isn't right. Put that fucking thing out. I'll be here in the morning. We're going shopping, and we're going running.'

Loved that. He was right, and he was awesome, and he got me back out of a trench and into my running love zone.

Then I met my now love, my man of many years, father of my children, partner in all things. He was a runner. A marathoner. A soccer dude in high school, college, semi-pro. The real deal. We ran.

And then we made a baby boy.  After which I ran when I could. For several years.

And then we made a baby girl.  During which I ran until I couldn't. And then afterward, for many years.

And then I got really sick. I had been training for a half-marathon. In the summer heat.  And I got chickenpox when my kids got it. My early childhood exposure hadn't created enough antibodies, it turns out. Thank you Grandma Gin and massive doses of Vitamin C. I never actually got the pox as a child...but I did as an adult. The pox were subdued by antiviral meds but the pox did their worst in my body, and I had issues. For a couple of years.

I still remember the first time I tried to run after chickenpox...I thought I was feeling better, but I really wasn't.  After about a half mile in the brutal heat I thought my head was going to explode....so i stopped.

For awhile I stopped, but then I commenced.

And continued for decades.

One day my chiropractor scolded me, for longer than usual, about the impact the running had on my aging bones. After I glared at him (I was vain, ok?) I mumbled something about trying to come up with an alternative.

So I walked..power walked. A lot. Because I can't seem to do things in any rational way, I just go all out.

And that sucked. It worked, I suppose, but it sucked because I didn't get my runner's high. I just walked and worked and, you know, walked.

A few years ago I decided to occasionally jog a bit during my walks, you know, to just add a little spice to things. I still do that, and it feels good because a: I don't do much, and b: I ice my knees when I get home.

But I miss the run.

Tonight, my man and I were out for a post dinner walk. On the same route I used to run so far for so long.

I imagined myself in my stride, feeling the sun on my face, the air in my lungs, the burn in my legs, and the joy in my being.

It was a lovely moment, filled with the memory of the run.

And then we joined hands, smiled, and strolled through the night, him with his new hip moving nicely and his body strong and healing, me content knowing that sometimes it's ok to just move along at a nice, steady pace, and not just dash through it all.

There's something to that, yes?

Hugs, all.

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...