Skip to main content

Vanilla steamers and the prospect of rain

It's Friday, and on the way into work I stopped at the Grove for a Vanilla steamer with a shot. Which is really a vanilla latte with only one shot, I'm told. Either way, it's delicious, and I'm glad I treated myself! This week has been a humdinger, as weeks go, and I am most delighted that the end of the business/school week is very, very near.

About the rain, then.

Living in the high desert requires a tolerance for very little moisture - ever - in the form that falls from the sky. We get occasional snow, and even less occasional rain. Usually what we get is extreme, like during our summer monsoon season which fills arroyos and removes topsoil from the base of the mountain all the way down the river valley. Or the bi-annual snow fall of 6-10" that shuts down the city for days.

This lack of moisture makes us lust after raindrops like parched desert wanderers yearn for a cool, clear, drop of water to slake their thirst. Which is why, when we see a weather forecast that includes more than a 5% chance of rain, we get excited.

And if it actually precipitates? There's a huge, collective sigh of welcome for the precious moisture, and we all breathe very deeply of the fresh, cool, wet air.

I like to go for runs in the rain. There's something invigorating about being out on the trail as the raindrops hit the dirt and the desert foliage, releasing that wonderful, earthy combination scent of wet soil and sage. It's heady and delicious.

We've been told there's a 60% chance of rain tomorrow, and are enjoying cloudy skies today...which is rare for us. And if you live somewhere that gets lots of rain and is mostly cloudy? You might not understand how sunny day after sunny day after sunny week after sunny month can get on a girl's nerves.

This girl? Looking forward to at least a cloudy, if not rainy, Saturday. I'm going for a run no matter what, but if I get to do that in a drizzle?

All the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...