Skip to main content

Off the fence and into the bliss?

We've collected, or they've collected us, a group of really cool friends through the years. They run the gamut, these friends, and span every conceivable profession with the exception of psychiatry, though one of our friends has gone back to school and will be a practicing psychologist specializing in grief management once she gets through.

Our friends are diverse, professionally as well as culturally, which makes for good conversation and spirited debates from time to time, as one might imagine.

Two of these friends have been cohabbing for over a decade. A DECADE. He was married before, and apparently suffered so much emotional trauma during the breakup he vowed never to repeat that ever again.  She was also married before, under difficult circumstances, and divorced. She tried to save someone who wasn't ready to be saved, so when she left she was empty and sad. So when they got together and the sparks ignited and then they pursued their relationship and then they moved in together, they were both on the same page.

But somewhere along the way she healed, and decided that maybe being married again would be a really good thing, particularly to this very special person with whom she was deeply in love.

But he did not heal, and stuck to his 'I'm never ever ever ever getting married again. My heart got ripped out last time, I'm not going through that again. Ever.'

Over time this created sadness. This made us all look at him and wonder why he was being such a moron, and made us wonder why, if she cared so much about something she knew he wasn't ever going to do again, she stayed. She's an accomplished professional with balls of steel, just for the record.

But apparently, if a PS in an email to G.G. just now is to be believed, Never Ever Man asked her to marry him.

Really?

So at this juncture I ask, Did she say yes? (I sent her a text and am awaiting her response. Personally I think she should make him squirm a little, just out of principle.

The other question is, assuming they do this, and we're invited to the Big Event, what the hell do we get them? They've got everything under the sun in a gorgeous house in the foothills.

I have no earthly idea.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea