Skip to main content

Men, women, weight

I've been told, both recently and fairly frequently through my life, that I spend way too much time thinking about some things. Like, I analyze them to death. Like, in the case of personal conflicts I try to view the other person's perspective whenever/wherever possible to be as fair as I can. Which means I tend to think a lot about a lot of stuff a lot of the time.

And I sometimes exhaust myself. Ok, often I exhaust myself.

And, my husband has pointed out to me from time to time, that sometimes a person is just a douche. No thinking or considering their view/history/intent is going to change that. And, he appends, once a douche, always a douche.

Life is simpler for him in many regards. He has clarity of vision that I lack, and I respect him for his clarity while also acknowledging envious feelings as well. I wish I could do that, but I'm not wired that way.

Anyhoo, about the weight thing.

Hubby and two of his colleagues have bet tickets to an Isotopes game on who can lose the most weight in six weeks. They had their initial weigh in yesterday, scheduled a halfway weigh in, established rules, etc.

This represents admirable initiative while tapping into the highly competitive male psyche. Which never fails to amaze me. (That and the double dog dare thing. Who thought THAT up?)

So last night hubby and I are chatting while preparing dinner and I ask him a few questions about his plan, his methodology, his strategy for dealing with hungry days, etc.

He looked at me and said, 'Well, we're not using pills of any kind. Those are off limits. And mostly we're just going to exercise more and eat less.'

Hah.

Ok. Well then, clearly his approach and mine are different. I'm a veteran of Weight Watchers, who has helped me on two occasions drop ten pounds (I think it's exactly the same damned ten pounds!!) that I could not seem to peel off my body. I love Weight Watchers. The have awesome recipes, a plan that makes sense, and more importantly, works for weight loss, behavior modification, which is a huge part of it, and for establishing permanent, beneficial lifestyle changes that make keeping weight off easier.

The nut, though, is that it's really all about exercising more and eating less.

The annoying part? Hubby will probably be able to drop his weight really fast, much faster than I was ever able to because for me it melts off molecule by molecule, not pound by pound.

Mars. Venus. Waist size. Ass size.

Time will tell, right?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...