Skip to main content

Faulty filter

Do you remember when being polite and courteous above all else was paramount? When the thought of calling someone out on their BS stream or challenging a relative on a political or religious stance was unthinkable?

Me too.

But it's been awhile.

I'm not sure when my filter started to fail, but for sure the last five years have definitely taken a toll on its integrity.

Nonconfrontational by nature, I avoid runins that get messy whenever and wherever possible. I've strained my emotions and sensibilities so many times it's a wonder I haven't ended up looking like a female version of Gumby.  I guess I'm just wired this way. (Note: My natural inclination to avoid confrontation and anger has, however, been known to evaporate under the influence of too much cabernet. I'm just sayin'. Another reason to moderate intake, right?)

Through the years I've envied those who can just let loose and tell their opponents how they feel, hold their ground, etc. In your face just hasn't felt right to me.

Until lately.

For some reason when faced with opposition or just plain stupidity, it's all I can do to suppress a snarky retort or engage in what would surely become a flame war.  I usually take the high road and remain silent, but I'm worried that, after a bad day, a poke or a prod from an irritating person will send me. Over. The. Edge.

What is there to fear? Well, about four decades of suppression, that's what. There is just no telling what might happen, but I'm pretty sure there will be damage to fix and apologies to deliver.

See, if I had just taken the path that my very honest and brave son has taken, I would never have built up a boatload of pithy replies to stupid provocation. He's always been true enough to himself to just say, if asked to do something that doesn't interest him, "Sorry. That's just not going to work for me."

Period.

Go son.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...