Skip to main content

Nostalgia

When I was a little girl I spent time with my aunts while my Mom was off doing Mom things, like finishing up college and working.

During times with the Aunties, things could get weird. They too were in college and used me for a guinea pig for all kinds of silly behavior tests. My reward was usually raisins, which I loved.

My youngest Aunt, during this era, had a really sweet boyfriend who then became her husband but whom she eventually divorced  because he was 'just not motivated enough when it came to the important things.'  I'm not sure what that meant, since he was an artist and became a CPA to support his art habit, but my aunt eventually divorced him, which broke all of our hearts because we loved him. He was awesome. And he was much nicer, most days, than my aunt, but let's not get into that.

Also, may he rest in peace. He somehow ended up with brain cancer, and he passed a couple of years ago. The world lost a sweet and gentle spirit when he left, and I hope he has found peace after a mighty struggle with a most nasty disease.

Anyway, Auntie and Sweet Uncle would sometimes take me to Frank's Drive In, an Albuquerque landmark, for limeades, taco burgers, and the most amazing tater tots EVER.

I loved these treats. I would do anything for them, including but not limited to behaving while Auntie and Sweet Uncle smoked a LOT of dope in their basement hideaway.  I suspect they were also engaged in various adult activities most days, as they went at it like bunnies in the Spring. This was a known, in fact something I heard my older aunt say on a regular basis. (I suspect she was jealous as she was a less attractive and even bitchier version of my younger aunt but that goes into complicated sibling rivalries and petty behaviors of which most of us have been guilty from time to time so let's leave it at that.)

But those treats, those outings to Franks tickled my tiny belly and made me feel very very special.

Over time, Frank retired and sold his drive in to others, who renamed it Hurricane's. The taco burgers and tater tots and limeades remain a highlight of their menu to this day over 40 years later.

When our kids come to town we usually have at least one breakfast at Hurricane's...huevos rancheros, maybe some fried zucchini (I don't know what they put into it but it's like I imagine crack to be), and lots of yummy.

Today I awoke feeling particularly nostalgic for the simpler times. I might be reacting to the pressure of finishing up school, scheduling national exams and contemplating my future on an excruciatingly detailed level, constantly and sometimes in the middle of the night when my eyes pop open and the monkeys start to chatter. I might just be needing some comfort in the form of familiar yumminess that reminds me of a time when awe and coolness were everywhere.

So I went to Hurricane's for lunch.  I had fried zucchini, a taco burger, and a limeade.  The second those flavors hit my tongue I felt better, more connected to my roots and my strength and my fortitude.

When I got done running errands after lunch I came home and took a nap. (Trust me, that was necessary after the influx of crispy, gooey, sweet sour food that so pleased my palette...)

When I woke up, I scheduled my first National Exam.  For July 16th.  BioMedicine.

Fuck.

It's real, and now I need to study my everloving buns off to prepare. And then take it. And then schedule another one. And rinse and repeat until all four Nationals are done.

And then take the State exam on November 12th.

Between now and then, though (the State exam), I have to get through 14 weeks of school. The last 14 weeks....which is weird to think/say/feel.

Oh, so I also got another big item off my pre-graduation To-Do List. I found a great dress and shoes...and bought them. So I'm committed. I have to graduate now, right? I have the dress and shoes!


So, almost there.

Big hugs,

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea