Skip to main content

Allll the way to Santa Fe....and back again...

Every day, the trek to Santa Fe. Every day the schlep back home, hopefully with more experience and knowledge in the old cranium.

After one full week behind us, I have to say, damn. Saturday was just a recovery day. I hit a wall around 3 p.m. and had to nap. Seriously. I know I will get used to the commute, or at least I tell myself I will. That it will become part of my day, and be no biggie. That I am fortunate to have avoided said commute for as long as I have, since my much younger daughter in the Big Apple commutes 1:10 every morning and evening, by train. So I need to just chill, right?

Right.

I have to believe the medicine is bigger and better than the politics and egos and nonsense that predicated our campus being 'consolidated' into the Santa Fe campus.

I have to believe that the greater lesson here will eclipse the stupidity of trying to meld two completely and totally different philosphies/entities into one very narrow, rigid mold.

I have to believe this..that I am heavier with a modicum of wisdom at the end of each day or I'll lose my shit, abandon my mostly pleasant personality once and for all and call it like I see it.

And I really don't want to lose my shit.

That's so, NOT who I want to be.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...