Skip to main content

Almost time for guilty pleasures...

It's the morning after.

Not of a steamy love connection (unfortunately), but the morning after two weeks of intensity the likes of which I hope not to experience again any time soon.

Let me explain.

I already talked about finals, and wow, after my 9th round of them (yep, I've done this 9 times now!, only 6 to go....) I'm as used to them as I'm going to get. In other words, they're crazy hard and there's a ton of pressure to do well, as we would expect. Part of the trick, I think, is knowing what's coming...again and again and again....sometimes that can be harder than walking into something blind, don't you think?

So there were finals, and now they are done.

Because life wasn't already full/intense/stressful enough, a hot water pipe decided to burst under our living room. Which is, of course, on a concrete slab. Which needed to be, yes...jackhammered up. Again. (This happened once before, a mere 6 days before daughter's 18th birthday, for which we were hosting a dinner party....).  Right now my living room looks like a meteor hit it. I'm really not exaggerating. One one side is our furniture; on the other is a big hole with pipes exposed. There is a wheelbarrow full of dirt. There is a strange smell that goes along with excavating ...an earthy, kind of moist smell, which is very foreign to our living space. Mostly, anyway.

As I write this hubby and brotherinlaw are working hard to repair the stupid pipe, to replace the old copper that has been compromised by what we think was a miniscule nick before it was placed, and then time...the house is now 40 years old, and with time...these things happen, we're told.

There may be something terribly wrong with us at this point, or we've just become immune to the havoc wreaked by fragile plumbing. Last night, in the midst of this absolute chaos, hubby and I pretended like our living room didn't look like a war zone. We watched the Providence Men's soccer team lose to UCLA in the Big East semi finals. I made myself a very delicious very dirty, very dry Grey Goose martini and sipped it, something I reserve for very special occasions like the end of another killer semester. We had planned to go out for tempura shrimp udon, but ended up eating leftover black beans and rice, and I had a grilled cheese sandwich (yes, I know, a most un-Paleo choice but I was tired, and I had already had the beans and rice once yesterday...). In short, we tried to act like we would on any other Friday night.

Today the plumbing work continues. I feel myself beginning to decompress from the weeks that have preceded finals. I am processing what I learned this term (I hope), and am going to hit the library for some good reading (beachy stuff), then go to the sewing store to try to find bobbins that fit my new/old sewing machine that my mom found at a thrift shop during her stay. I have projects projects projects in mind that I can't wait to tackle, and the key is the bobbins....

On plan for the break...working out more regularly. Creating menus and sticking to them as much as possible. Relaxing. Hubby found season 7 of True Blood at a Black Friday sale at Hastings, and I'm gonna binge. :) I do love my vamps. We also have the rest of season 1 of Newsroom to watch, then get season 2 from mominlaw and get through that. Then watch what we've recorded of season 3.

Clearly escapism is part of the plan.

I also need to work as much as possible, so I'm encouraging clients to use me while I have bandwidth to spare.

Son gets in late Tuesday night, and we're going to hang out and just be....as much as possible. His visits always include much exotic cooking, deep conversations and mutual assessment. He's amazing, and the number of ways we are similar never fails to astonish me, though he's now 26 and I shouldn't be surprised by how similar our views are on many issues.

That's all for now, but know that I'll try to write more. I love to write. And sharing silliness or seriousness or whatever...is one of my guilty pleasures. Always has been.

Happy Holidays and Big Hugs!

Stevie

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea