Skip to main content

Before we knew it, she was gone.

Last weekend our baby girl graduated from college.

She walked. She crossed the stage, gripped the hand of the President of the University, smiled, grabbed her diploma, and stepped down. Then she walked back to her seat, past us, where her very proud Daddy shot numerous pictures of her smiling face.

During the 2.5 hour ceremony images from her childhood streamed through my thoughts like a precious chronology of her life to date. Her absolutely disarming smile. Her baby coos, and belly laughs. Her first steps, then words..so many words as they tumbled from her tiny mouth. Her love for her brother, and his care for her. He protected her fiercely from harm, but always did his best to conceal his efforts lest she actually know how much he loved her. Her soccer, her passion, her thoughts on ever more complex life issues. Her love for touch, for hugs, for head tickles and snuggling. Her passion for competition. Her academic development. Her deep compassion and natural nurturing instincts, her kindness. Her announcement of her desire to play Division I soccer in college. Her accepting an offer at Providence College. Her tragic knee injury, surgery and recovery. Moving her into her dorm. Her bravery in the face of incredible academic and athletic demands.  Her growth, maturation, development during her college years. Her announcement of accepting a job in NYC with a big hospital. Her smile and hugs when we picked her up for dinner last Friday night. These and thousands more are images that continued to flow through my consciousness as the day wore on, and which have continued to appear like surprise reminders of life so well lived so far, with so much promise for a fulfilling future.

After graduation we and many other Providence College families gathered on a patio at the nearby Hilton and took hundreds and hundreds of record shots of the grads, the grads and their fams, the grads and their friends.

We headed to Mediterraneo, a favorite sumptuous Italian restaurant on Federal Hill, where we celebrated. We toasted. We ate. We reminisced. I only cried once, and it was just a little bit. Daughter said my emotions were embarrassing her, and to get a grip, so I did. Kind of. In the days since, though,  I have allowed myself to cry a little as I realize the enormity of this. I can't help myself, and am told that the grieving process that accompanies the elation of successes such as these is healing and bittersweet. Releasing the emotions is key, and I am trying to do that in small yet intense moments.

We hustled to the airport to take my husband to meet his flight. He had to leave for a big event at his school the next day, one that couldn't be missed or he would have gladly missed it. He made his flight.

Daughter and I headed back to her apartment, where we gathered up some libations and headed to her boyfriend's house for a party. Dressed to the nines we trekked down hilly streets, smiles on our faces and a feeling of lightness that may have been due to the wine at lunch, severe sleep deprivation, or possibly from the elation of a job well done on her part.

A job very well done.

Cheers, Daughter. You are truly amazing, and we cannot wait to see where life takes you next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dang it's hot

It has decided to be summer now, after weeks of fluctuating between cool and cooler.... The A/C is on high. I am trying to study, but really don't want to ...due to a general weightiness that has settled over me, no doubt the heat is just slowing me down for the moment. So, instead of pressing through and forcing myself to do something I don't really have the energy to do right now I am honoring my state of mind and just relaxing a little.... I have begun serious study for my BioMed exam, and reviewing the material is making me realize that I have in fact learned a great deal during my journey through this program, but more importantly is I have begun to look at things, all things, differently.  I am not sure when it began, the shift to this new view, but it has taken hold and infuses my being with an appreciation for the beauty and complexity of life, of the human body, of the human condition, of the universe in general. I have learned facts and data, I have examined ca...

The choices we make, make us who we are, don't they?

W. H. Auden once said: Choice of attention—to pay attention to this and ignore that—is to the inner life what choice of action is to the outer. It's so easy to get caught up in the day to day that we often forget that every single choice that we make, particularly when it comes to how we live, not just the little niggling details, really matters. Every single one. I guess it boils down to limited resources, right? There are a finite number of moments in each day, and most of us are obligated to spend a considerable number of those pursuing our careers, making ends meet, etc., which means that the number available for spiritual and emotional nurturing are limited, indeed. So demonstrating our love for our families, taking good care of ourselves-nutritionally, emotionally, spiritually, physically, in the moments we actually have for those pursuits? Makes absolute sense. And growing our hearts and enriching our spirits through whatever means we choose, be it spending more ...

On Mondays. And lots of rules.

Mondays can be a challenge. There's the whole shock to the system of waking up and realizing it's not the weekend anymore, which kind of blows. And then the jolt out of the lazy flow of the weekend into the time-focused 'gotta be at the office by x time, gotta get ready for the company meeting, gotta check emails/deadlines to ensure nothing is on fire' stuff. And then the reality of settling into the week...and knowing that this one will be a full one. They all seem to be. This week for me: Work. Lots of good stuff going on, but 'lots' being the watchword. School. 2nd trimester starts. Tomorrow a.m. So tomorrow for me is school, 9-12; work 1230-430; clinic 5-9. Long day, Tuesday. For this I've washed and pressed my lab coat, cleaned out my tote (it is truly amazing what collects during a trimester in terms of used kleenexes, abandoned index cards, folded notes that were important at some point but now are just extra weight, stale snacks, etc.), and ...