Skip to main content

Critical mass

Now that I think about it, I should have labeled this post, The Clog Before the Flow, or something existential like that.

Let me explain.

During the course of my training, to date, I've noticed some interesting things about myself.

Like, I am learning to allow myself to be part of a much bigger effort, which will result in me being a practitioner of Oriental Medicine at some future point. I've never really been a part of something like this- it's strange and intense and interesting and hard and changes every single student in fundamental ways, I'm told.

Like, my perfectionism (under relative control compared to a decade ago, I have to say), while a positive considering medicine is full of details and nobody wants to be imperfect...can cause problems. The sheer volume of information that's being shoved into my brain, and the short time period in which this is happening (ie every semester...tons and tons and tons of new stuff), makes perfectionism an impossibility. I know, right? Really? Yes. It's about stepping back a little...devising some kind of viable study/retention strategy and using it. And learning as absolutely much as absolutely well as possible. Which isn't 100%, but it's close. And perfection isn't really happening, though solid performance across the board is, which I guess is ok, too.

Like, right before a critical breakthrough of understanding either with the medicine in general or a particular aspect of it, I feel a pressure...almost tangible..in my bones, in my brain, in my body..everywhere....that builds and builds and feels like it's heavy and dense and like a molasses-y, medical facts blob. And right about the point when I cry (or sometimes right afterwards, as it turns out), the sensation shifts to one of assimilation....where the clog breaks, the concepts distribute somewhere they're supposed to be instead of in the molasses mass, and a sense of peace descends upon me.

I'm told this process I'm describing is par for the course, that the journey through this course of study really does change you. That you are forced to discover things about yourself you never knew or would have explored. That you grow and become something much stronger, more holistic, more self-aware.....

Needless to say that didn't get conveyed in any pre-program meetings, any higher level discussions with administration during application and review.

What I can say is I have never been so damned uncomfortable for so long, ever in my life, and loved it so much.

Which tells me this path I'm on? This strange and twisty, lovely and enlightening, educational and soul-bending path...is exactly where I need to be.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea