Skip to main content

My winter vacation

As I look back over the last couple of weeks, I realize how much we actually did. And yet, I feel relaxed and ready for the New Year, energized for work's demands and generally in a very centered and good place.

I've had some thoughts about how to live this new year, which include but aren't limited to:

Manage stress better.


Spend more time outdoors. Really outdoors, like hiking. In the mountains. And cycling, with the road bike. And mountain biking, with the...you get my drift.


Do more yoga.


Mediate regularly.


Be kinder to myself on all levels.


Be even more present in every single moment.

To say our holiday was great would be a gross understatement.  It was a celebration of family, an intensely enjoyable time to just be in moments doing all kinds of things including but not limited to:

Making pierrogies. Annual event involving MIL, SIL, BIL, all my fam, nieces, and lots of eggs, cottage cheese, flour, boiling water and folding folding folding....

Christmas shopping for various family members with other family members, and secreting stocking stuffers and other silly stuff and wrapping and sipping tea...


Lunching. We like to do lunch, it seems. Salads, sandwiches, Mexican food, nouveaux cuisine, we don't care, we'll enjoy munching it at lunch. And we did. A lot.

Working out. Seriously. Runs. Yoga. More runs. Daughter at the gym. A lot. It was fun.

Reading. Lots of beach-y reading. Mysteries. Romances. Suspense romances. Fiction of all kinds. And of course my new Joy of Cooking cookbook, in hardback!, that Hubby gave me for Christmas. (my old one...was paperback, over 30 years old, and held together with a big fat rubber band..I kid you not)

Pampering. The New Year wouldn't be complete without a sparkly set of toesies, right?


Shopping. Seriously. More than we should have, but the sales, they were...really good this year. Really. Suffice to say, Mama got new boots - Fryes - that are kind of a hybrid low heel cowboy/English riding boot. Love them. Already broken in. Mama also found a beautiful Fossil purse..needed a basic, dark brown, durable leather purse for years of use. Found it. Love it already.

Dinners. Lots of them. Sumptuous some, simple others. All good, all with candles and a variety of friends and family...menus included, but weren't limited to:
 
(Xmas dinner potluck at SIL's)
    Lasagna w/spinach
   Ravioli   
   Green Salad
   MIL's Deviled Eggs
   J. Lohr Cabernet
______________________

   Cornish Hens
   Rice Pilaf
   Garlic Green Beans
   J. Lohr Chardonnay
______________________

   Prime Rib
   Au Gratin Potatoes
   Fresh green salad w/lemon vinaigrette
   Kenwood Cabernet
______________________


   Hubby's Spicy Chicken Wings 
   Wild Rice
   Grilled Peppers
______________________


   Red Chili with Pork
   Black Beans
   Macaroni and Cheese (homemade of course, and for the kiddos at the dinner)


_______________________

   
   Crab Legs
   Steamed Artichokes
   Crispy Sourdough Bread
   Korbel Champagne
______________________


   Quiches
    L'orraine
    Crab w/artichoke hearts
    Fresh fruit salad
______________________


   Greek Chicken
   Mapled Winter Squash
   Green salad w/avos and balsamic vinaigrette
______________________


Wow. And I'm sure I missed some. But based on this, I'd have to admit to being semi-obsessed with food. And its preparation. And clearly its consumption.


Watching movies. Good ones. Bad ones. You name it, we probably viewed it during the week.

Laughing. At our foibles. At our seriousness. Because we were just plain happy.

Reminiscing. 'Nuff said.

And now it's over. The vacation part. Son is back in Abu Dhabi. Hubby and I are back at work. Daughter still has a little time to regroup and let her brain recover, which is good. Admittedly, I feel a little empty inside but mostly extremely appreciative and yes, blessed.


All the way around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea