Skip to main content

Terroir

I find the concept of terroir particularly compelling. Perhaps it's the hedonist in me. Perhaps it's the elemental tie to the earth. Perhaps I love this concept because it feels so antithetical to so much of what is happening today.

It means, 'of the earth.' The longer definition, per terroir.france.com,
'A " terroir " is a group of vineyards (or even vines) from the same region, belonging to a specific appellation, and sharing the same type of soil, weather conditions, grapes and wine making savoir-faire, which contribute to give its specific personality to the wine.

I love this definition. If you really know wines, then, you can taste not just the type of wine that you're sampling, but the terroir from which it originates. I, alas, do not possess a palette quite that discerning. Not even close.

I know what I like, the medium to full-bodied reds, preferably drier than fruity, but a good, soft fruity red can be lovely too. My palette just seems to dance a little when it encounters a nice, rich, dry Zinfandel or deep Cabernet. I'm still working on appreciating Pinot Noirs, and have recently begun to enjoy Red Bordeaux. We had a bottle that was a Merlot/Cab blend the other night that wasn't bad, though I'm not a Merlot fan. (and not because I saw Sideways, either, I've just never developed a taste for it.)

My dad knew a lot about wine, and with his brother explored many French and Italian and Spanish varieties and educated his palette and learned the terminology. He read Alexis Lichine, enjoyed the tasting process as much as consuming the vin, and would sparkle and smile when he encountered a satisfying vintage. We would design dinners around bottles of wine he and my uncle would purchase, then enjoy the pairing of the carefully selected and prepared foods with the wine choice of the meal. 


I think this is where I learned to consider wine a food, as significant an ingredient to a good meal as a nicely prepared protein or beautifully crafted salad. A good meal to me always includes at least the option of a glass of wine; sans that option, the meal would feel incomplete, I suppose.


Cultivating a skill like becoming a wine lover takes time, dedication, effort, and a real desire to learn not just the taste of the end product, but the story of the vine, the history of the winemaker, the rationale behind any blending that ultimately produced the bottled wine.


It feels to me that in an age of increasing speed, multi-tasking, frantic, constant movement in lieu of measured activity and deliberate focus, taking on a challenge such as becoming a knowledgeable wine consumer (note I did NOT use the term connoisseur...to me that's another term for 'snob' and that's not where I'm headed with this) would be good for the soul.


Kind of a Zen for the palette.


And yes, I can totally imagine living in a small vineyard in France or Italy, steeping myself in viniculture and local history (the two are instrinsically entwined), and contributing in some way to the creation of good wines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Schnazzed up Desert Magnolia..again, thanks to LP the graphics guru!

Happy Thursday, everyone! Nope, it's not quite Spring yet, but sometimes a girl's gotta get a new 'do. Or in this case this girl's gotta get a new blog header. You know what I mean. Thank you LP! You rock. I love the artistic approach..it's soft but nice and still says, 'Enter here at your own risk, for opinions of a strong nature are sure to be expressed.' That's how I see it, anyway.

May I please be excused?

When G.G. was sorting through the mail the other night he stopped, then started to chuckle. And then he handed me an envelope in which a Jury Summons was contained. He chuckled because he has been called twice, and I have never been called. And for some reason he thought that wasn't right, or fair, or something. Well, I got mine. But it turns out I need to ask them a favor. To postpone my civic duty until after the holidays. Because before the holidays I am responsible for planning and overseeing and/or executing all year end marketing and PR for our little company, as well as publishing our final edition of an e-pub that now distributes to over 300K people each edition, so it needs to look good. And not have spelling errors and stuff. And then when that e-pub flies? I'll be flying, literally, to Providence, then to Europe and the Middle East. There's a lot to get done before I go, and I'm desperately hoping that our jury management system accepts my reque

Running Shoes...with Waves

Remember when you had one pair of tennies and they were for everything? Everything. Those days ended for me in high school when I started to run in earnest. In Nike Pegasus, their original running shoe, in white leather with a red swoosh. They were cushiony and durable and made me feel like less of a poser and more like a real runner. After that the style options exploded. I can't remember when Nike came out with their patented Air technology, but I had one of the original pairs..paid a ton of money for them, but it was money well spent. I ran all over the place in those things. All over. The foothills, the valley, sidewalks, parks, around the Academy, wherever...many miles in the originals. Generations of shoes later, I find myself not so happy with the Nike anymore. I've spent thousands of dollars on them in my life, but a few years back began to notice what I deemed to be a general decline in quality, though they've never stopped increasing their prices with ea